1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Rate of Heat Flow)

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The same question was asked on this forum about two years ago, however I did not find any of the given answers clear. The question was the following:

A small pond has a layer of ice 1cm thick floating on its surface. The air temperature is -10C.

(a) What is the temperature of the liquid water just below the ice?
    (b) Write the expression for the rate of heat transfer through the ice as a function of thickness of the ice?
    (c) Write the expression for the rate of heat flow required to freeze the water? Hint: first find how much heat must be removed to freeze a given thickness of ice.
    (d) Find the rate in cm/hr at which ice is added to the layer.
    (e) How long does it take for a 20cm layer to build up?

2. Relevant equations

H = dQ/dt = kA(TH - TC)/L

3. The attempt at a solution

for part b, I attempted to derive H with respect to L, and got the following:

dH/dL = -kA(TH - TC)/L2

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding what the question wants from me, and would appreciate any guidance anyone provides.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2
    If A is the surface area and ##\Delta x## is the thickness of ice that gets frozen during the time interval ##\Delta t##, what volume of ice gets frozen during the time interval ##\Delta t##? What is the mass of ice that gets frozen during the time interval ##\Delta t##? How much heat has to be removed from the mass during the time interval ##\Delta t## to freeze this mass of ice?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted