1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Increase problem. Please help

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When air expands adiabatically (without gaining or losing heat), its pressure P and volume V are related by the equation PV^(1.4)=C where C is a constant. Suppose that at a certain instant the volume is 450 cubic centimeters and the pressure is 81 kPa and is decreasing at a rate of 10 kPa/minute. At what rate in cubic centimeters per minute is the volume increasing at this instant?

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea what any relevant equations would be.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know really where to start but I figured the kPa would be 71 and then 61 and so on... Maybe I take the derivative of the entire thing but that's an option

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    You have :

PV^(1.4)=C

Try differentiate it. If you do you will see it become a algebra problem where you will
    be solving for dv.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    I agree with tnutty, try differentiating it implicitly with respect to t(time).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook