Rate of Magnetic Field Change

In summary, to find the rate of change of the magnetic field, we can use Faraday's law and set it equal to the induced EMF. We can then use the equation {d \phi \over dt} = A cos \theta {d B \over dt} and solve for dB/dt, which should be the answer to the question. The initial magnetic field is not needed in this calculation.
wr1015
A conducting loop of wire has an area of 6.9 10-4 m2 and a resistance of 110[tex]\Omega[/tex] . Perpendicular to the plane of the loop is a magnetic field of strength 0.18 T. At what rate (in T/s) must this field change if the induced current in the loop is to be 0.18 A?

here's what I've done so far:

[tex]\theta[/tex] = 0

i used Ohm's Law V = IR to find V which is the same as EMF, which came out to be 19.8 V. Then to find initial flux i used [tex]\phi_{i}[/tex] = (.018T) (6.9 x 10[tex]^-4[/tex]) (cos 0) and got 1.242 x 10[tex]^-4[/tex]

this is where i think i might have gone wrong:

i'm assuming they are talking about a change over 1 second, so [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 1s

and N = 1 since it originally says "A conducting loop of wire"

so i set up the Emf formula like this: 19.8 V = ([tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] - 1.242 x 10[tex]^-4[/tex]) and solved for [tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] and of course I'm not getting the right answer... any suggestions??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing Faraday's law, which relates induced EMF with the rate of change of the flux through the loop.

Doc Al said:
Start by writing Faraday's law, which relates induced EMF with the rate of change of the flux through the loop.
i did: 19.8 = 1 (([tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] - 1.242E-4)/(1))

[tex]\mid[/tex]E[tex]\mid[/tex] = 19.8 V
N = 1
[tex]\phi_{i}[/tex] = 1.242E-4 T
[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 1s

Last edited:
anyone else?

wr1015 said:
i did: 19.8 = 1 (([tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] - 1.242E-4)/(1))

[tex]\mid[/tex]E[tex]\mid[/tex] = 19.8 V
N = 1
[tex]\phi_{i}[/tex] = 1.242E-4 T
[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 1s

You are fiding the final flux but that`s not what they are asking. They want the rate of change of the magnetic field!
Use that [itex] {d \phi \over dt} = A cos \theta {d B \over dt} [/itex]. In your case cos theta = 1. Set this equal to the emf induced and dolve for dB/dt and see if you get the correct answer. As far as I can tell, the initial B field is not needed.

Patrick

nrqed said:
You are fiding the final flux but that`s not what they are asking. They want the rate of change of the magnetic field!
Use that [itex] {d \phi \over dt} = A cos \theta {d B \over dt} [/itex]. In your case cos theta = 1. Set this equal to the emf induced and dolve for dB/dt and see if you get the correct answer. As far as I can tell, the initial B field is not needed.

Patrick

ahh yes I don't why I thought finding the final flux was finding the rate of change :redface: thank you for clearing that up

What is the rate of magnetic field change?

The rate of magnetic field change refers to the speed at which the strength or direction of a magnetic field is changing. It is typically measured in units of Tesla per second (T/s) or Gauss per second (G/s).

How is the rate of magnetic field change measured?

The rate of magnetic field change can be measured using devices such as magnetometers or fluxgate magnetometers. These instruments detect changes in the magnetic field and provide a numerical value for the rate of change.

What factors can affect the rate of magnetic field change?

The rate of magnetic field change can be affected by various factors, including the strength and direction of the current flowing through a wire, the distance between two magnetic poles, and the speed at which a magnet is moving.

Why is the rate of magnetic field change important?

The rate of magnetic field change is important in understanding and predicting various physical phenomena, such as electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for the operation of many electrical devices. It is also crucial in studying the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

How does the rate of magnetic field change relate to Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field induces an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. The rate of magnetic field change is directly proportional to the magnitude of the induced EMF, as the faster the field changes, the stronger the induced EMF will be.