1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Magnetic Field Change

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1
    A conducting loop of wire has an area of 6.9 10-4 m2 and a resistance of 110[tex]\Omega[/tex] . Perpendicular to the plane of the loop is a magnetic field of strength 0.18 T. At what rate (in T/s) must this field change if the induced current in the loop is to be 0.18 A?

here's what i've done so far:

[tex]\theta[/tex] = 0

i used Ohm's Law V = IR to find V which is the same as EMF, which came out to be 19.8 V. Then to find initial flux i used [tex]\phi_{i}[/tex] = (.018T) (6.9 x 10[tex]^-4[/tex]) (cos 0) and got 1.242 x 10[tex]^-4[/tex]

this is where i think i might have gone wrong:

i'm assuming they are talking about a change over 1 second, so [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 1s

and N = 1 since it originally says "A conducting loop of wire"

so i set up the Emf formula like this: 19.8 V = ([tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] - 1.242 x 10[tex]^-4[/tex]) and solved for [tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] and of course i'm not getting the right answer... any suggestions??
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by writing Faraday's law, which relates induced EMF with the rate of change of the flux through the loop.
  4. Mar 30, 2006 #3

i did: 19.8 = 1 (([tex]\phi_{f}[/tex] - 1.242E-4)/(1))

[tex]\mid[/tex]E[tex]\mid[/tex] = 19.8 V
    N = 1
    [tex]\phi_{i}[/tex] = 1.242E-4 T
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 1s
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  5. Mar 30, 2006 #4
    anyone else?
  6. Mar 30, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are fiding the final flux but that`s not what they are asking. They want the rate of change of the magnetic field!
    Use that [itex] {d \phi \over dt} = A cos \theta {d B \over dt} [/itex]. In your case cos theta = 1. Set this equal to the emf induced and dolve for dB/dt and see if you get the correct answer. As far as I can tell, the initial B field is not needed.

7. Mar 30, 2006 #6
    ahh yes I don't why I thought finding the final flux was finding the rate of change :redface: thank you for clearing that up
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?