What is the Rate of Movement of a Glacier after 20 Days?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate at which a glacier is moving after 20 days. Using the formula d(t)=0.01t^2+0.5t, a calculation is shown where the limit of the glacier's movement is evaluated. The final answer is 8.5m/day, but the textbook answer is 0.9m/day. There is also a discussion about simplifying the calculation and avoiding using actual numbers until the last step.
thomasrules
The movement of a certain glacier can be modeled by [tex]d(t)=0.01t^2+0.5t[/tex] where d is the distance in metres that a stake on the glaciers has moved, relative to a fixed position, t days after measurements began. Find the rate at which the glacier is moving after 20 days.

What is the question asking for?

I got an answer by using: lim_h-0 f(a+h)-f(a)/h

and I got a final answer of 8.5 but the answer is 0.9m/day in the book !

Physics news on Phys.org
We could help you if you showed your work.

[tex]d(t)=(0.01)t^2+0.5t, P(a,f(a))=(20,14)\\\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{(0.01(400-800h+h^2)+0.5(20+h)-14)}{h}\\
\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{(0.01h^2+8.5h)}{h}=8.5

[/tex]

Last edited:
I think it'll be simpler if you avoid the actual numbers till the last step.
[tex]
\lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow 0} \frac{\left(0.01\left(t + \Delta t\right)^2 + 0.5\left(t+\Delta t\right) \right) - \left(0.01t^2 + 0.5t\right)}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Put t = 20 after you evaluate the limit.

thomasrules said:
[tex]d(t)=(0.01)t^2+0.5t, P(a,f(a))=(20,14)\\\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{(0.01(400-800h+h^2)+0.5(20+h)-14)}{h}\\
\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{(0.01h^2+8.5h)}{h}=8.5

[/tex]
You're not going to like this!

[itex](20+ h)^2= 400+ 2(20)h+ h^2= 400+ 40h+ h^2[/itex], not 800h!
(You also have a "-" that should be there but that's obviously a typo since it didn't affect your final answer.)

LMAO hallsofivy!

Right now I'm laughing my ass off LMAO

God damnit!

thanks...lol I GOT IT

btw how do you put spaces in between tex stuff,,,...it says its \\ but it doesn't work...look at my tex

1. How is the rate of movement of a glacier measured?

The rate of movement of a glacier is typically measured using a combination of field observations and remote sensing techniques. Field observations involve tracking the movement of specific markers on the glacier's surface over time, while remote sensing techniques use satellites or ground-based instruments to measure the velocity of the glacier's flow.

2. What factors affect the rate of movement of a glacier?

The rate of movement of a glacier is primarily affected by the amount of snow and ice accumulation at the top of the glacier and the rate of melting at the glacier's terminus. Other factors that can influence the rate of movement include the steepness of the glacier's slope, the presence of debris or water on the glacier's surface, and changes in the underlying topography or geology.

3. Can the rate of movement of a glacier change over time?

Yes, the rate of movement of a glacier can change over time. This can be due to natural fluctuations in climate or environmental conditions, as well as human activities such as land use changes or the construction of dams. In some cases, the rate of movement may increase due to the glacier's response to melting of its underlying ice or changes in the bedrock, while in other cases it may decrease due to reduced snow and ice accumulation or increased friction on the glacier's surface.

4. How does the rate of movement of a glacier impact the surrounding environment?

The rate of movement of a glacier can have significant impacts on the surrounding environment. As the glacier moves, it can erode and transport large amounts of sediment, impacting the landscape and potentially changing the course of rivers and streams. The melting of glaciers can also contribute to sea level rise, and changes in the rate of movement can affect the availability of water resources for human and ecological use.

5. How do scientists predict the future rate of movement of glaciers?

Scientists use a combination of numerical models, field observations, and remote sensing techniques to predict the future rate of movement of glaciers. These models take into account factors such as changes in climate, topography, and ice thickness to project how glaciers may respond in the coming years or decades. However, predicting the future rate of movement is challenging due to the complex and dynamic nature of glaciers and the uncertainties surrounding future climate change.