1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Noise in Three Sensors

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose you have two sensors with rates of noise [itex]R_{A}^{noise}[/itex] and [itex]R_{B}^{noise}[/itex]. Suppose an erroneous signal occurs if the two sensors have a noise trigger within time [itex]\tau[/itex] of each other. Show that the rate of false signals is [itex]R_{AB}^{noise}=2R_{A}^{noise}R_{B}^{noise}\tau[/itex]. How does this change if a third sensor is introduced?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I will now drop the noise superscripts for convenience. Also note that the rates above are constants, and do not vary in time.

The probability that each sensor has a false signal in a time dt is obviously R*dt. So the probability that they both fire ought to be [itex]R_{A}R_{B}dtds[/itex]. We are interested in number of counts per time, so we will need to take an integral to bring probability to counts and a time derivative to get a rate.

[tex]R_{AB}=\frac{d}{dt}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau}R_{A}R_{B}dsdt = R_{A}R_{B}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau}ds = R_{A}R_{B}2\tau[/tex]

So for three sensors I do the analogous thing, presuming I got the above right. Here's the catch - I'm not sure what do with the integral limits.

[tex]R_{ABC}=\frac{d}{dt}\int \int R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}dudsdt[/tex]

My only guess is that the first integral is integrated to the next integral's variable.

[tex]R_{ABC}=\frac{d}{dt}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau} \int^{s}_{-s} R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}dudsdt = R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}\frac{d}{dt}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau}2sdsdt = R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}[s^{2}]^{\tau}_{-\tau} = 0[/tex]

This is obviously not the correct answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    Maybe I didn't really do the analogous thing. I still have 3 pure numbers with [itex]R_{A}dtR_{B}dsR_{C}du[/itex], so by dimensional analysis I still only need one integral and one derivative, but what happens to the remaining differential time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook