Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of nuclear fusion

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a question about nuclear fusion.
    Deuterium-Tritium fusion generates 3.4 * 1014 J/kg when you have a
    mixture of around 400 grams of deuterium and 600 grams of tritium.
    My question is: what is the rate at which this fusion reaction takes place?
    Is there a formula for the fusion rate and what is the reaction speed at, for example, 100 million Kelvin?
    I am in high school and I am doing research on nuclear fusion. I was able to calculate the amount of energy released per kg, but I don't know how to calculate the rate at which this reaction takes place depending on the temperature (in kg per m^3 per second).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    I have read the Wikipedia page, but I don't know for sure if I fully understand how the formula works.
    Could you please give an example of a calculation?

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If you know densities and temperature, you can just plug in numbers.
    Let's say we have 1015/m3 D and 1015/m3 T at a temperature of 100 million K. The reactivity rate, from the plot, is about 10-22 m3/s.
    Multiply everything together, and you get 1015/m3 * 1015/m3 * 10-22 m3/s = 108/(m3*s) reactions. Not enough for a reactor, but I just made up those plasma density numbers.

6. Feb 21, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the explanation. I understand it now.

7. Feb 22, 2016 #6
    Is there a formula or a website where you can find the number density of plasma?

8. Feb 22, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

You can check the websites, publications and other pages of/about various reactors. You are supposed to do the research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook