Photon Strike Rate Calculation

In summary, a monochromatic light with a wavelength of 300 nm strikes a surface of 4 cm squared with an intensity of 15x10^-2 W/m^2. To determine the rate at which photons strike the surface, we can use the equation I = power/area and the fact that the energy of each photon is given by hc/lambda. By dividing the transferred energy to the surface by the energy of one photon, we can find the number of photons striking the surface per second.
Jacob87411
Monochramatic light of wavelength 300 nm is incident normally on a surface of area 4 cm squared. If the intensity of the light is 15x10^-2 W/m^2, determine the rate at which photons strike the surface.

Honestly when reading this I thought I missed something in the chapter. A wave of 300nm strikes a metal surface that is 4 centimeters squared. The light intensity strikes with 15x10^-2. I am just lost on how to start it because I haven't seen anything like it in this chapter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I = power/ area
power = energy / time
energy of each photon is given by hc/lambda
so the enrgy of a certain number,n of photons is nhc/lambda
im not quite sure how to eliminate the time in the equation you will get... perhaps someone else will helpm since i too am curious on how to solve something like this

The rate of photons means #of photons each second.The # of photons can be computed by dividing the transferred energy to the surface by the energy of one photon...That "/s" is gotten by diving the power (energy in unit time) and not the energy.

[tex] \mbox{No.photons \ per \ s}=\frac{15\cdot 10^{-2} \ \frac{W}{m^{2}}\cdot 4\cdot 10^{-4}m^{2}}{\frac{hc}{\lambda}} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
ok sorry i don't mean to hijack your thread but dexter can u take a look at my thread on index of refraction i nteh college level forum?

Thanks, that helps a lot..made it a lot clearer

What is the definition of "Rate of Photon Strike"?

The rate of photon strike, also known as photon flux, is the number of photons passing through a unit area in a specific amount of time.

How is the rate of photon strike measured?

The rate of photon strike is typically measured in units of photons per second per square centimeter (photons/s/cm²).

What factors affect the rate of photon strike?

The rate of photon strike can be influenced by various factors such as the intensity of the light source, the distance from the light source, and the properties of the medium through which the photons are passing.

Why is the rate of photon strike important in scientific research?

The rate of photon strike is important in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and biology. It helps in understanding the behavior of light, the properties of materials, and the interactions between light and matter.

How does the rate of photon strike relate to the concept of energy?

The rate of photon strike is directly proportional to the energy of the photons. A higher rate of photon strike means a higher energy flux, while a lower rate indicates a lower energy flux.