Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rate of Photon Strike

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    Monochramatic light of wavelength 300 nm is incident normally on a surface of area 4 cm squared. If the intensity of the light is 15x10^-2 W/m^2, determine the rate at which photons strike the surface.

Honestly when reading this I thought I missed something in the chapter. A wave of 300nm strikes a metal surface that is 4 centimeters squared. The light intensity strikes with 15x10^-2. Im just lost on how to start it because I havent seen anything like it in this chapter.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    I = power/ area
    power = energy / time
    energy of each photon is given by hc/lambda
    so the enrgy of a certain number,n of photons is nhc/lambda
    im not quite sure how to eliminate the time in the equation you will get... perhaps someone else will helpm since i too am curious on how to solve something like this

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rate of photons means #of photons each second.The # of photons can be computed by dividing the transfered energy to the surface by the energy of one photon...That "/s" is gotten by diving the power (energy in unit time) and not the energy.

[tex] \mbox{No.photons \ per \ s}=\frac{15\cdot 10^{-2} \ \frac{W}{m^{2}}\cdot 4\cdot 10^{-4}m^{2}}{\frac{hc}{\lambda}} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  5. Apr 11, 2005 #4
    ok sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread but dexter can u take a look at my thread on index of refraction i nteh college level forum?

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5
    Thanks, that helps a lot..made it a lot clearer

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook