1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Photon Strike

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    Monochramatic light of wavelength 300 nm is incident normally on a surface of area 4 cm squared. If the intensity of the light is 15x10^-2 W/m^2, determine the rate at which photons strike the surface.

Honestly when reading this I thought I missed something in the chapter. A wave of 300nm strikes a metal surface that is 4 centimeters squared. The light intensity strikes with 15x10^-2. Im just lost on how to start it because I havent seen anything like it in this chapter.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    I = power/ area
    power = energy / time
    energy of each photon is given by hc/lambda
    so the enrgy of a certain number,n of photons is nhc/lambda
    im not quite sure how to eliminate the time in the equation you will get... perhaps someone else will helpm since i too am curious on how to solve something like this
  4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rate of photons means #of photons each second.The # of photons can be computed by dividing the transfered energy to the surface by the energy of one photon...That "/s" is gotten by diving the power (energy in unit time) and not the energy.

[tex] \mbox{No.photons \ per \ s}=\frac{15\cdot 10^{-2} \ \frac{W}{m^{2}}\cdot 4\cdot 10^{-4}m^{2}}{\frac{hc}{\lambda}} [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  5. Apr 11, 2005 #4
    ok sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread but dexter can u take a look at my thread on index of refraction i nteh college level forum?
  6. Apr 11, 2005 #5
    Thanks, that helps a lot..made it a lot clearer
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?