Understanding Rate of Reaction: Exploring Measurement Methods

In summary, LVB is stuck trying to figure out how to measure the rate of a reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium thiosulphate. He is wondering why the gas displacement method and weighing method won't work. He was told that the cross method is the best because it uses a tool that the teacher brought and it is the most accurate, but the gas displacement method doesn't work. LVB was hoping for help from others who may know more about this topic.
LVB
Rate of reaction helppp !

heyy guys.
I reallyy need help. I am doing my rate of reaction coursework ... nad i am stuck.

I know there are three ways of measuring the rate of a reaction (right ? )
1. weighing the reaction mixture
2. the cross
3. the gas displacement

rightt ... in my coursework i am using
Hydrochloric acid and sodium thiosulphate.

I know that the cross method is the best ... because our teacher told us. But why does the weighing one not work ??

Hopeee you understand what I'm on about. Would be reallyy greatful for your replies. Thank youuu ! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
helpppppppp !

i am reallyy stuck will my coursework.

I am reacting hydrochloric acid with sodium thiosuplahte.

What is wrong with using the gas displacement method ?

Thank you for your help !

Please elaborate, no idea what you are writing about.

--

I am doing my rate of reaction coursework ... and i am stuck.

I know there are three ways of measuring the rate of a reaction (right ? )
2. the cross
3. the gas displacement

I know that the cross method is the best ... because our teacher told us. But why does the weighing one not work and the displacing the gas one ?

Hopeee you understand what I'm on about. Would be reallyy greatful for your replies. Thank youuu !

Last edited by a moderator:

Three methods? I can think of several others as well.

No idea what cross is.

Do you have something to weight? Or is there a gas between products?

--

LVB said:
heyy guys.
I reallyy need help. I am doing my rate of reaction coursework ... nd i am stuck.

I no there are three ways of measuring the rate of a reaction (right ? )
2. the cross
3. the gas displacement

I no that the cross method is the best ... coz our teacher told us. But why does the weighing one not work ??

Hopeee you understand what I'm on about. Would be reallyy greatful for your replies. Thank youuu ! :smile:
Hello LVB I am guessing that because of safety constraints it will be difficult to get meaningful results using methods 1 and 3.It is a precipitation reaction so method 2 should be fine.

Last edited:

(merged two threads on the same question)

To clarify LVBs question I think he is investigating the factors that effect the rate of a chemical reaction by looking at the reaction between sodium thiosulphate and hydrochloric acid.The three methods he is referring to are.
1.Measuring the reducing mass as gas is given off.
2.Timing how long it takes for a precipitate to form by timing how long it takes for a mark like a cross to disappear when viewed from above the reaction flask.
3.Measuring the gas volume at regular intervals by ,for example, collecting it in a syringe.

yeah that's right dadface. But i want to know why the gas method and the mass method won't work ?
Thank you x

i'm reacting hydrochloric acid and sodium thiosulphate.

I am guessing that for safety reasons the acid you will be given will have a low molarity and the gas(sulphur dioxide) will not come off fast enough and in a large enough volume for you to make meaningful measurements in the time you are allowed.In large doses sulphur dioxide is toxic.

oh thank you muchly !

1. What is the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction is the measure of how quickly reactants are converted into products. It is usually expressed as the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time.

2. How is the rate of a reaction determined?

The rate of a reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a specific period of time. This can be done by using techniques such as spectrophotometry or titration.

3. What factors affect the rate of a reaction?

The rate of a reaction can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of reactants, temperature, surface area, presence of catalysts, and the nature of the reactants and products.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of a reaction?

An increase in temperature usually leads to an increase in the rate of a reaction. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the reactant molecules, making them move faster and increasing the likelihood of successful collisions.

5. How can the rate of a reaction be increased?

The rate of a reaction can be increased by increasing the concentration of reactants, raising the temperature, increasing the surface area of reactants, using a catalyst, or using light or pressure as a means of activation.