1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of reaction in detector?

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A reactor fires out ##10^{21}## neutrinos per second. A detector containing ##10m^3## of liquid which contains 30 carbon atoms every 60 hydrogen atoms. The detector-reactor distance is ##1000##. The cross section for the reaction is ##\sigma = 10^{-46} m^2##, and the density of the liquid is ##870 kg m^{-3}##. Find the expected rate of reactions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the rate of reactions is ##W = \sigma J n \delta x## where ##J## is incoming particles per second and ##n## is number density and ##\delta x## is thickness.
    Number of carbon atoms per unit volume in the detector is ##\frac{60}{90} \frac{(870)(10.3)}{(1.67 \times 10^{-27}) (10.3)} = 3.5 \times 10^{29} m^{-3}##. Can I take ##J## to be ##10^{21}##? What is the thickness in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2
    Or is it better to use ##W = \sigma \frac{J}{A} (nA\delta x) = \sigma \frac{J}{A} N## where I can find the flux from using ##\frac{J}{4\pi r^2}##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted