Rate of Reaction: Effects of Volume Changes

In summary, the reaction rate in a KIO3 + NaHSO3 experiment is likely to depend on the concentrations of the reactants. If the volume of the iodate solution is increased, the reaction rate may also increase. Conversely, increasing the volume of the sodium hydrogen sulphite solution may also increase the reaction rate. Using too much starch indicator may affect the accuracy of the results, but it is not likely to have a significant impact on the reaction rate. If the volume of the iodate solution is decreased, the reaction rate may decrease as well. Similarly, decreasing the volume of the sodium hydrogen sulphite solution may also decrease the reaction rate. Ultimately, the effect of volume on the reaction rate will need to be determined through experimentation
decamij
If i were to increase to react potassium iodate with sodium hydrogen sulphite at room temperature, what would happen to the rate of react and why if:

1) i increased the volume of iodate solution added
2) increased the volume of the sodium hydrogen sulhpite solution.
3) used too much starch indicator
4) decreased the volume of iodate solution added
5) decreased the volume of the sodium hydrogen sulhpite solution.

I have a lab due monday and my teacher doesn't teach us a thing! Thanx a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, you can not predict the effect of concentration on the reaction rate, and will have to do an experiment to determine this. In most cases, however, you can expect the reaction rate to depend directly on the concentrations of the reactants.

So, is this a question from a lab that you've already done, or for a lab that you are going to do ? The KIO3 + NaHSO3 rection is often used for labs where you are asked to determine the rate equation from the experiments. Is this what the lab is about ? If so, the question must be answered using the results of the lab.

Ya but I'm talking about volume, not concentration. If, for example, i used more sodium hydrogen sulphite, what would happen?

What is the rate of reaction?

The rate of reaction is a measure of how quickly a reaction occurs. It is typically measured as the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time.

How do volume changes affect the rate of reaction?

Volume changes can affect the rate of reaction in several ways. Increasing the volume can decrease the concentration of reactants, leading to a slower rate of reaction. However, decreasing the volume can increase the pressure, leading to more collisions between particles and a faster rate of reaction.

What is the relationship between volume and concentration in a reaction?

Volume and concentration have an inverse relationship in a reaction. As volume increases, concentration decreases, and vice versa. This is because the number of particles in a given volume is the same, regardless of the size of the container.

How does temperature affect the rate of reaction in relation to volume changes?

Temperature and volume changes have a direct relationship in terms of their effect on the rate of reaction. As temperature increases, the volume of gases also increases, leading to a faster rate of reaction due to more collisions between particles.

What are some practical applications of understanding the effects of volume changes on the rate of reaction?

Understanding the effects of volume changes on the rate of reaction is essential in various industries, such as chemical manufacturing and pharmaceuticals. It can also be applied in everyday tasks, such as cooking, where changes in volume can affect the rate at which food cooks.