1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Rate of sinking objects

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1
    Hi All,

I have a problem (with 3 separate instances) to which I believe I have the answers, but would like check with those more knowledgeable than myself. They revolve around 3 blocks sinking through water and which falls quicker. I am ignoring friction.

Instance 1:
    All blocks are exactly the same shape and size. They have different masses however. Which falls quicker?

Instance 2:
    All blocks are of different sizes (short/medium/long), but have the same mass. Which falls quicker?

Instance 3:
    All blocks are made of the same material but are different sizes (short/medium/long). Which falls quicker?

My understanding of the answers is based upon Newton's second law, buoyancy and free body force diagrams:
    W(obj) - W(wat) = mass of object x acceleration (where Weight of water is equal to its density x volume of object x gravity):

a- ( m(o) - m(w) ) g = m(o) a
    b- ( p(o) - p(w) ) vg = p(o) v a (mass = density x volume)

1. Using eqn a: Although m(o) increases, m(w) remains constant, therefore acceleration increases and heavier mass falls quicker

2. Using eqn a: As they have the same mass, m(o) remains constant, but m(w) increases as the size of the object increases. Therefore, the smaller object falls quicker

3. Using eqn b: All densities are equal, but as the volume on both sides of the equation cancel each other out, they fall at the same rate

Is this the correct understanding? I believe it is, but it does do your head in!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello jr, :welcome:

If you want to ignore friction, you are back to Galileo Galilei's experiments.
    You equations are hard to read and understand. are the a and the b enumerators or variables ?

[edit] all right, enumerators.

Instance 1 and 2: I agree. Some can even move upwards...
    Instance 3: agree also.

In all cases it's pretty straightforward to write an expression for the acceleration.

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3
    Thanks BvU,
    It basically comes down to density. Those with greater densities sink faster than those with smaller densities.
    It's basic physics but something I haven't needed to think about or do for ages - when they come up in aptitude tests you forget the equations and logic behind the reasoning!

5. Oct 13, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same here: Galilei had to do with non-vacuum and was genius enough to reason through that limitation. For a fish such luck isn't there :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted