Help Needed: Shadow Length Calculation Problem

In summary, calculating shadow length can be challenging due to the use of trigonometry and the need for precise measurements and angles. To calculate shadow length, you will need to measure the height of the object, the length of the shadow, and the angle of the sun's rays. Online calculators can be helpful, but it is important to double-check their accuracy. If precise measurements are not available, it is possible to estimate the shadow length using objects of known heights. However, other factors such as atmospheric conditions and time of day can also affect the accuracy of calculations.
tandoorichicken
Its been a while since I did something like this:

A man 6 ft tall walks at the rate of 5 ft/sec toward a street light that is 16 ft above the ground. At what rate is the length of his shadow changing when he is 10 ft from the base of the light?

And I forgot how.
Please help. Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure, I'd be happy to help with this problem. First, let's review the given information. We have a man who is 6 ft tall walking towards a street light that is 16 ft above the ground. We also know that he is walking at a rate of 5 ft/sec. The question is asking us to find the rate at which the length of his shadow is changing when he is 10 ft from the base of the light.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of similar triangles. Since the man and his shadow are both standing on the ground, we can create a right triangle with the man's height (6 ft) as the vertical side, the distance from the base of the light to the man (10 ft) as the horizontal side, and the length of the shadow as the hypotenuse.

Now, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the shadow. The equation would be: (length of shadow)^2 = (6 ft)^2 + (10 ft)^2. Solving for the length of the shadow, we get approximately 11.66 ft.

To find the rate at which the length of the shadow is changing, we can use the chain rule from calculus. The equation would be: (rate of change of shadow) = (rate of change of distance from base) * (rate of change of shadow length with respect to distance).

The first rate of change is given to us in the problem as 5 ft/sec. The second rate of change can be found by taking the derivative of the equation we found earlier for the length of the shadow. d/dx (length of shadow) = (1/2)*(1/sqrt((6 ft)^2 + x^2)) * 2x. Plugging in x=10 ft, we get a rate of change of approximately 0.57 ft/ft.

Finally, we can multiply these two rates together to get the final answer of approximately 2.85 ft/sec. This means that the length of the man's shadow is increasing at a rate of 2.85 ft every second when he is 10 ft away from the base of the light.

I hope this helps you understand the problem and how to solve it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is the problem with calculating shadow length?

The problem with calculating shadow length is that it involves trigonometry, which can be a complex and confusing concept for many people. Additionally, it requires precise measurements and angles, which can be difficult to obtain accurately.

2. How do I calculate shadow length?

To calculate shadow length, you will need to measure the height of the object casting the shadow, the length of the shadow, and the angle of the sun's rays. Then, you can use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the shadow length.

3. Can I use an online calculator to calculate shadow length?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can help you calculate shadow length. However, it is important to double-check the accuracy of the calculator and the measurements you input to ensure an accurate result.

4. What if I don't have precise measurements for calculating shadow length?

If you do not have precise measurements, you can still estimate the shadow length by using objects of known heights and comparing their shadow lengths to the shadow length of the object in question. However, this method may not be as accurate as using precise measurements.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the accuracy of shadow length calculations?

Yes, there are several other factors that could affect the accuracy of shadow length calculations, such as atmospheric conditions, time of day, and the shape of the object casting the shadow. It is important to consider these factors and make any necessary adjustments to your calculations.