1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate problem

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boat takes 2.0 hr to travel 31 km down a river, then 6.0 hr to return. How fast is the river flowing?

2. Relevant equations
    r=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution

first started out by finding the rate the boat traveled in each trip.

31/2=15.5 km/hr

31/6=5.2 km/hr

Now this is where im not sure if im solving this correctly. I then find the difference between the two rates and the time taken to travel both ways.

10.3 (difference of 15.5-5.2)/4(difference of 6-2)=2.6 km/hr

Is this the correct way of solving this problem? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi osker246,

No, I don't think that's right. Notice is you keep units on your calculation you'll get km/hr^2.

So work with the total rate on each trip that you found. The boat has a speed, and the river has a speed. How do those combine to give 15.5 km/hr on the one trip, and how do they combine to give 5.2 km/hr going the other way?

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    hey alphycist,

Im not sure if I follow what your trying to say. Obviously when the boat travels 15.5 km/hr it is traveling with the current and when it travels 5.2 hm/hr its traveling against the current. I'm at a loss how you find the rate the current moves though.

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

The boat has a speed [itex]v_b[/itex] (measured in still water), and the water has a speed [itex]v_w[/itex]. How do you combine those to get 15.5 km/h? How do you combine those to get 5.2 km/h? That will give you two equations and then you can solve for both of the unknown speeds. Does that make sense?

6. Jul 17, 2008 #5
    Ok I think I do understand. Tell me if this is correct.

Vb + Vw = 15.5

and

Vb-Vw = 5.2

Ok so I solved Vb + Vw = 15.5 for Vb. Giving me Vb=15.5 - Vw.

I then pluged in Vb=15.5 - Vw, into the equation Vb-Vw = 5.2 then solving for Vw.

So...

15.5-Vw-Vw=5.2

-2Vw=-10.3

Vw=5.15

Is this correct?

7. Jul 17, 2008 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That sounds right to me.

8. Jul 17, 2008 #7
    Alright! The answer was correct! Thank you very much alphysicist. I appreciate it.

9. Jul 17, 2008 #8

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Sure, glad to help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?