Calculating River Flow Rate from Boat Trip Data

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the rate of a river based on the time it took a boat to travel certain distances. The boat traveled 31 km down the river in 2 hours and 31 km back in 6 hours, and the goal was to find the rate of the river. The correct method involved setting up two equations using the boat's speed in still water (v_b) and the river's speed (v_w) and solving for v_w. The final answer was 5.15 km/hr.
osker246

Homework Statement

A boat takes 2.0 hr to travel 31 km down a river, then 6.0 hr to return. How fast is the river flowing?

Homework Equations

r=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

first started out by finding the rate the boat traveled in each trip.

31/2=15.5 km/hr

31/6=5.2 km/hr

Now this is where I am not sure if I am solving this correctly. I then find the difference between the two rates and the time taken to travel both ways.

10.3 (difference of 15.5-5.2)/4(difference of 6-2)=2.6 km/hr

Is this the correct way of solving this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi osker246,

osker246 said:

Homework Statement

A boat takes 2.0 hr to travel 31 km down a river, then 6.0 hr to return. How fast is the river flowing?

Homework Equations

r=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

first started out by finding the rate the boat traveled in each trip.

31/2=15.5 km/hr

31/6=5.2 km/hr

Now this is where I am not sure if I am solving this correctly. I then find the difference between the two rates and the time taken to travel both ways.

10.3 (difference of 15.5-5.2)/4(difference of 6-2)=2.6 km/hr

Is this the correct way of solving this problem? Thanks!

No, I don't think that's right. Notice is you keep units on your calculation you'll get km/hr^2.

So work with the total rate on each trip that you found. The boat has a speed, and the river has a speed. How do those combine to give 15.5 km/hr on the one trip, and how do they combine to give 5.2 km/hr going the other way?

alphysicist said:
Hi osker246,

So work with the total rate on each trip that you found. The boat has a speed, and the river has a speed. How do those combine to give 15.5 km/hr on the one trip, and how do they combine to give 5.2 km/hr going the other way?

hey alphycist,

Im not sure if I follow what your trying to say. Obviously when the boat travels 15.5 km/hr it is traveling with the current and when it travels 5.2 hm/hr its traveling against the current. I'm at a loss how you find the rate the current moves though.

osker246 said:
hey alphycist,

Im not sure if I follow what your trying to say. Obviously when the boat travels 15.5 km/hr it is traveling with the current and when it travels 5.2 hm/hr its traveling against the current. I'm at a loss how you find the rate the current moves though.

The boat has a speed [itex]v_b[/itex] (measured in still water), and the water has a speed [itex]v_w[/itex]. How do you combine those to get 15.5 km/h? How do you combine those to get 5.2 km/h? That will give you two equations and then you can solve for both of the unknown speeds. Does that make sense?

alphysicist said:
The boat has a speed [itex]v_b[/itex] (measured in still water), and the water has a speed [itex]v_w[/itex]. How do you combine those to get 15.5 km/h? How do you combine those to get 5.2 km/h? That will give you two equations and then you can solve for both of the unknown speeds. Does that make sense?

Ok I think I do understand. Tell me if this is correct.

Vb + Vw = 15.5

and

Vb-Vw = 5.2

Ok so I solved Vb + Vw = 15.5 for Vb. Giving me Vb=15.5 - Vw.

I then pluged in Vb=15.5 - Vw, into the equation Vb-Vw = 5.2 then solving for Vw.

So...

15.5-Vw-Vw=5.2

-2Vw=-10.3

Vw=5.15

Is this correct?

That sounds right to me.

Alright! The answer was correct! Thank you very much alphysicist. I appreciate it.

Sure, glad to help!

1. How do you calculate river flow rate from boat trip data?

To calculate river flow rate from boat trip data, you need to measure the distance traveled by the boat and the time it took to cover that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the average speed of the boat. Finally, use the formula Q = A x V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the river, and V is the average speed of the boat.

2. What equipment is needed to collect boat trip data for calculating river flow rate?

The necessary equipment includes a boat, a GPS device or other means of measuring distance, a stopwatch or timer to record time, and a measuring tape or other tool to determine the cross-sectional area of the river.

3. Can you calculate river flow rate from boat trip data without measuring the cross-sectional area of the river?

No, measuring the cross-sectional area of the river is essential in calculating the flow rate. This is because the flow rate formula takes into account the area of the river, as the amount of water passing through it will vary depending on its size.

4. How accurate is the calculated river flow rate from boat trip data?

The accuracy of the calculated flow rate will depend on the accuracy of the measurements taken. It is essential to ensure precise measurements of distance, time, and cross-sectional area to get an accurate flow rate. Other factors such as wind and currents may also affect the accuracy of the calculated flow rate.

5. What are the limitations of using boat trip data to calculate river flow rate?

One limitation is that the calculated flow rate will only be accurate for the time and location at which the boat trip data was collected. Flow rates can vary significantly over time and distance in a river, so it is essential to collect data from various locations and times to get a more accurate overall picture. Additionally, factors such as wind and currents may also affect the accuracy of the calculated flow rate.