Rated Power System

• Thread starter splitendz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I just want to clear up my understanding of rated power systems.

For example, if an electrical system is rated 5kVA at a nominated supply voltage and power factor does that imply that the total apparent power (S) supplied to the circuit must equal 5kVA?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
splitendz said:
I just want to clear up my understanding of rated power systems.

For example, if an electrical system is rated 5kVA at a nominated supply voltage and power factor does that imply that the total apparent power (S) supplied to the circuit must equal 5kVA?

Thanks.
I would say no in general conditions. Nominative or rated electrical values are those for which the whole system is designed, and sometimes one can extract useful information from them (as characteristic impedances). But the system may deal with small variations around those rated values.

berkeman
Mentor
splitendz said:
At least for transformers and such, the kVA rating is the max allowed power input.

berkeman said:
At least for transformers and such, the kVA rating is the max allowed power input.
Yes, but the power may or may not be Watts. It could be Vars which
is why they aren't typically rated in kW.