1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rates of change - confused (again!)

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1
    Imagine a cube that 'grows' by five cubic inches per week. How fast is its surface area increasing when the length of one of its sides is seven inches?

I know that the derivative of volume (V) with respect to time (t) is 5, e.g:

[tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 5[/tex]

To calculate the surface area of a cube from a given volume I would use:

[tex] S=6(\sqrt[3]{V})^2 [/tex]

Therefore, would I need to calculate the derivate of S with respect to V in order to reach my goal of deriving S with respect to t?

Or am I going totally in the wrong direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Differentiate S with respect to t, by using the chain rule.
    Use your knowledge of V and dV/dt to calculate how fast the surface area changes.

4. Jun 9, 2004 #3
    Thanks Arildno,

I have been thinking about this more clearly...

1. I know the cube is growing at [tex]5in^2[/tex] per week.

2. This can be represented as [tex]5x[/tex] (where x is the week number)

3. I need to figure out the week where the length is 7 inches. Solving [tex] \sqrt[3]{5x} = 7 [/tex], I find that the week is 68.6

4. Therefore, I need to find the cube surface area's rate of change at week 68.6 - represented as: [tex] 6(\sqrt[3]{5x})^2 [/tex]

Plugging this into my calculator returns a rate of [tex]2.857in^2[/tex] per week. This is the correct answer I was looking for! Hurrah!

However, I have been trying to calculate the derivative manually without much success. I have been using the chain rule:

I am taking [tex]f(x)=6x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=\sqrt[3]{5x}[/tex]. I understand I need to take the derivate of f(x) and g(x) as follows - [tex]f'(g(x))g'(x)[/tex]. I can calculate [tex]f'(x)=12(\sqrt[3]{5x})[/tex] but I cannot get [tex]g'(x)[/tex]. I'm totally stumped when trying to derive this. Any hints...?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  5. Jun 9, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Write g(x) like this:
    [tex]g(x)=\sqrt[3]{5x}=5^{\frac{1}{3}}x^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

Does that help?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  6. Jun 9, 2004 #5
    Sorry about that - I kept screwing up my Latex formatting. I have edited my post it should be correct now..

7. Jun 9, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your not alone in this..
    I've posted a hint, I don't know if you find it sufficient, though..

8. Jun 9, 2004 #7
    crookesm,

I think the notation you're using is getting you confused. Stick with V for volume and S for surface area. You're trying to find dS/dt. According to the chain rule:

dS/dt = dS/dV*dV/dt

You have equations for S(V) and V(t), so you can find those deriviatives.

Does that help?

9. Jun 9, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's another way,

[tex] \frac {dV} {dt} = \frac {d} {dt} (a^3) = 3a^2 \frac {da} {dt} = 5 [/tex]
    [tex] => \frac {da} {dt} = 5/(3*7*7) [/tex]

And
    [tex] \frac {dS} {dt} =\frac {d} {dt} (6a^2) = 12a \frac {da} {dt} = \frac {12*7*5} {3*7*7}=20/7=2.857 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?