Rates of change in volume.

In summary: But V = A*h(t), so\frac{dV}{dt} = A \frac{dh}{dt} = -khNow you can solve the problem. :)Ok i think i might have cracked the 1st bit now,dh/dt = -khh = Ce^-ktln h = -kt + Abut i don't understand how to work out how long it will take to empty 1/2 of the water, there are no figures to work with?In summary, the problem involves a tank in the shape of a cylinder with an initial water depth of h0. Water is allowed to leave the tank through a valve at the bottom, with a rate of discharge
uniidiot

Homework Statement

A tank is in a shape of a cylinder with a circular cross-section of area A. Initially the depth of water in the tank (the head) is h0. At time t = 0 water is allowed to leave the tank ffrom a valve at the bottom. The rate at which the water leaves the tank is proportional to the head of the water at that instant; the constant of proportionality, k, is related to the discharge coefficient or the tank.

Derive an expression for the head of water in the tank at any time t after it is allowed to empty.

How long does it take for the tank to lose 1/2 its water? How long does it take for the tank to empty.

Homework Equations

Code:
dy/dx = -ky

y = Ce^(-kt)

The Attempt at a Solution

dh/dt = -k(h - h0)

h(time) = (h - h0)e^(-kt)

ln ((h - h0) / h(time)) = kt

and this is where i get stuck :confused: that's even if I've got the first bit right?

any help would be great!

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the question carefully, it says that the rate at which water leaves the tank is proportional to the height of the water at the the time.

ok so:

the rate at which water leaves the tank = -kh

i'm a little confused about teh "discharge coefficient"

uniidiot said:
ok so:

the rate at which water leaves the tank = -kh

So what does "the rate at which water leaves the tank" actually mean?

i'm a little confused about teh "discharge coefficient"
Just a bunch of fancy words to make the problem look interesting. :wink: If the complete problem reads as you have stated it here, then there's nothing to be confused about.

So what does "the rate at which water leaves the tank" actually mean?

the speed at which the height of the water decreases

well the diffrence of the height from the initial value is h - h0

so the rate of change is

dh / dt = (h - h0) / (t - t0)

?

Ok i think i might have cracked the 1st bit now,

dh/dt = -kh

h = Ce^-kt

ln h = -kt + A
but i don't understand how to work out how long it will take to empty 1/2 of the water, there are no figures to work with?thanks for your help so far neutrino.

uniidiot said:
the speed at which the height of the water decreases
Not exactly. The answer is in the title of this thread!

well the diffrence of the height from the initial value is h - h0

so the rate of change is

dh / dt = (h - h0) / (t - t0)

?

At any instant the rate at which the volume decreases is proportional to the height of the water at that instant. That would give you,

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = -kh[/tex]

1. What is the definition of "rate of change in volume"?

The rate of change in volume refers to how quickly the volume of an object or substance is changing over a specific period of time. It is a measure of the steepness of the volume curve.

2. How is the rate of change in volume calculated?

The rate of change in volume can be calculated by taking the difference in volume between two points, and dividing it by the difference in time between those points. This gives the average rate of change. For a more accurate rate, the change in volume at a specific point can be calculated using calculus.

3. What is the significance of understanding rates of change in volume?

Understanding rates of change in volume is important in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows for the prediction and control of changes in volume over time, which is crucial in designing and developing new technologies and processes.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of change in volume?

Temperature plays a significant role in the rate of change in volume. In general, as temperature increases, the volume of a substance also increases. This is because the molecules in the substance have more energy and move more, causing the volume to expand. However, this relationship may vary depending on the specific substance and its properties.

5. Can rates of change in volume be negative?

Yes, rates of change in volume can be negative. This indicates a decrease in volume over time, which can occur when a substance is undergoing compression or cooling. It is important to consider both positive and negative rates of change in volume in order to fully understand the behavior of a substance.