What is the Instantaneous Rate of Change at Noon?

• Thread starter Brunll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to estimate the instantaneous rate of change at noon using a set of temperature data recorded every hour in Whitefish, Montana. The suggested methods include finding the average temperature change between 11 AM and noon, using a tangent line on a graph, and converting the data to change in temperature per hour. However, it is noted that the data may not easily map to a function and the first method may be more accurate.
Brunll

Homework Statement

Temperature readings T (in degrees celcius) were recorded every hour starting at midnight on a day in april in Whitefish, Montana.The time x is measured in hours from midnight.The data are giving in the table at the left

x(h) T(°C)

0 6.5
1 6.1
2 5.6
3 4.9
4 4.2
5 4.0
6 4.0
7 4.8
8 6.1
9 8.3
10 10.0
11 12.1
12 14.3

Homework Equations

Estimate the instantaneous rate of change at noon.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to understand the solution but still don't get it.so could somebody help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
With just that set of data, noon is an endpoint if you plot it. I mean you could find the average temperature change between 11 AM and noon but that would not be a great estimate. I'm not sure what kind of solution you're looking for here. The best way to estimate the instantaneous rate of change is to plot the graph, use a ruler to draw a tangent line, and try figuring out the slope, but with the data set you've given, this won't work out too well.

The best way to estimate the instantaneous rate of change is to plot the graph, use a ruler to draw a tangent line, and try figuring out the slope, but with the data set you've given, this won't work out too well.

Thanks!I'll try it.

Brunll, you could use the set of points and graph to develop a function, F(x) = something, and perform differentiation on it, and find the value of the derivative at the point where x=12

symbolipoint said:
Brunll, you could use the set of points and graph to develop a function, F(x) = something, and perform differentiation on it, and find the value of the derivative at the point where x=12

That data do not easily map to a function.

I would go with the slope of the tangent.

k

snipez90 said:
... you could find the average temperature change between 11 AM and noon but that would not be a great estimate.

... The best way to estimate the instantaneous rate of change is to plot the graph, use a ruler to draw a tangent line, and try figuring out the slope, but with the data set you've given, this won't work out too well.

I think the 1st method mentioned here is more accurate than the 2nd method.

first convert the data to change in temperature per hour.

next to that make a chart of change in change in temperature per hour.

1. What is a rate of change?

A rate of change is a measure of how much a quantity or variable changes over a specific period of time.

2. How is rate of change calculated?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the quantity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula (change in quantity) / (change in time).

3. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the overall rate of change over a specific period of time, while the instantaneous rate of change is the rate of change at a specific point in time. The average rate of change is calculated using the average value of the quantity over the given time period, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated using the derivative of the function at a specific point.

4. How is rate of change used in real-world situations?

Rate of change is used in many fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to analyze and predict how quantities or variables change over time, and can help in making informed decisions and solving problems.

5. Can rate of change be negative?

Yes, rate of change can be negative. This indicates that the quantity or variable is decreasing over time. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the rate of change, as it can provide valuable information about the behavior of the quantity or variable.