1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rates of change

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    A man standing on a pier pulls a small boat towards him using a rope attached to the prow. The rope is pulled from a height of 2.4m above its point of attachment to the boat. The rope is pulled at a rate of 30 cm a minute. At what rate is the boat moving towards the pier when it is 3.2m away.

Im stuck on this problem. I know it is a right angled triange, and that you have to differentiate using phythagoras, but i am stuck. help appreciated please
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2
    yeah i think your going the right direction i'll just look it up for you
  4. Jul 26, 2004 #3
    it dosn't happen to tell you the force being exerted on the rope? (in newtowns?)
  5. Jul 26, 2004 #4
    no, is a maths question :smile:
  6. Jul 26, 2004 #5
    yeah it is possible to do it by phythagorius
  7. Jul 26, 2004 #6

lol. Make a right triangle with legs of length 2.4 m for the vertical leg(x), and 3.2 m for the horizontal leg(y), with z as the hypotenuse or the length of the rope. Set up your equation as:

[tex]x^2 + y^2= z^2 [/tex]

now make all of your variables (x,y,z) a function of time, so when you implicitly differentiate the equation with respect to time, it will look like this:

[tex]2x \frac{dx}{dt} + 2y \frac{dy}{dt} = 2z \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

now you know that dx/dt is constant, since the dude holding the rope isn't moving up and down, but is holding it steady while he pulls it in, so dx/dt cancels to zero. Just solve for dy/dt since that is the rate of change of the horizontal leg of the triangle (the rate is the boat moving towards the pier). y, z and dz/dt are all given in the problem. Plug'n solve.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  8. Jul 26, 2004 #7
    greatly appreciated, but cant get dy/dt. any help please? :frown:
  9. Jul 26, 2004 #8

It's really just a matter of algebra now. Just get what you want on the left, and everything else on the right, and plug in what you know.

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{z}{y} \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

now for z, the problem told you that you wanted the value of dy/dt, when the boat was 3.2 m away. So z is just the square root of (3.2)^2 + (2.4)^2
    (Pythag). dz/dt is the rate of change of z in time, which the problem gave you as "30 cm a minute."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?