Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rates of Change

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    Hey everyone, im trying to study some questions from the internet and i came across this one. i think this will help me heeps with my study but i just cant figure it out. can anyone els???

......................The picture of the graph is in the attachment...........................

Using the graph above, find:

a) The average rate of change from x = 2 to x = 4
    b) The instantaneous rate of change of this function at x = -3
    c) The above function is given by y = (x=3)(x - 1)(x - 4). Using your graphics calculator:
    I. What is the instantaneous rate of change at x = -2
    II. Sketch your screen for how you got this solution.
    III. Write down your View Window settings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I can help you with the maths part of this problem, but not the calculator side of it. I can't see the attachment yet but it's not a problem.

The average rate of change is given by the slope of the line between the points [tex](2,f(2))[/tex] and [tex](4,f(4))[/tex].
    The instantaneous rate of change is given by the tangent at the point [tex](3,f(3))[/tex].

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    So they're both determind by the gradient. Are they???

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes that's right.

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    yay. so i just need to find out how to use the graphics calculator to do the rest. but how will i do that?

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't see why you would even need to do those questions. You are studying on the net and if you're learning this for school, I doubt they will ever ask you to grab your graphics calculator and answer it in this way. So why even bother?

8. Jun 13, 2010 #7
    i guess its just so im prepared, if i can learn the hard stuff, i should be able to do everything they throw at me. andwho knows wat they might give us.

9. Jun 13, 2010 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

This calculator business is hard stuff in its own way, not in the way a maths test works. If your school is anything like most other high schools out there, they won't be asking about how to use your graphics calculator.

Unless... you do that regularly in class?

Oh by the way, you need polishing up on those other skills before you should even be thinking of trying to learn about calculators. Calculators seriously aren't helping you at all, you need to become a little more independent with your maths.

But if you're still intent on doing those questions, maybe someone else can help you because I can't.

10. Jun 13, 2010 #9
    Well, we have been using the graphics calculators alot in class, so the test does involve them.

but thanks for the help ive learnt heeps....:)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook