How Do You Model Radiative Heat Transfer Between Spheres in Thermofluids?

• Thread starter Xaspire88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, for part A, the energy equation is derived using the small Biot number approximation and the equilibrium temperature of the small sphere can be solved for using the equations for heat exchange. For part B, as the radius of the large sphere goes to infinity, the equilibrium temperature of the small sphere is equal to its initial temperature.
Xaspire88
Have this HW for a Thermofluids class and I'm a little confused.

Problem
A) Use small Biot number approximation to derive the energy equation for a small solid sphere of radius "a" which exchanges radiative energy with a large sphere of radius "b".

B) If B -> infinity, show the energy equation and find the temperature of the small sphere.

We are given:

Small Sphere (1)
Initial Temperature = T1
Emissivity = e

Large Sphere(2)
Black Body
Temperature = T2

I solved for the shape factors first since they were relatively easy to determine.
F12= 1
F21+F22=1
A1*F12=A2*F21
F21=[tex]\frac{A1}{A2}[/tex]
F22=1-[tex]\frac{A1}{A2}[/tex]

Next I tried solving for the Q1->2

Q=(Eb1-Eb2)/((1-e)/(A1*e)+1/(A1*F12))

But I'm not sure if this is correct. I don't think I have ever done a radiation problem between a Black and Gray body.

For the Energy Equation for part (A) Would I need to subtract Q1->2 from Q2->1? They should be equal and opposite I thought since there are only two surfaces exchanging energy, but maybe that's where I am confusing myself.

And for Part (B) I am really at a loss. It would seem as the radius of the large sphere goes to infinity that the heat exchange Q2->1 (heat exchange from the large sphere to the small one) would go to zero, but beyond that I have no idea how to solve for the equilibrium temperature of the small sphere using the initial temp.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A, you are correct that Q1->2 should be subtracted from Q2->1. You can use the equations for Q1->2 and Q2->1 to derive the energy equation. The equation will be of the form:Q1->2 - Q2->1 = (T1 - T2)/tauwhere tau is the thermal time constant. The equation can then be rearranged to solve for the equilibrium temperature of the small sphere.For part B, as the radius of the large sphere goes to infinity, the heat exchange from the large sphere to the small one (Q2->1) will go to zero. This means that the energy equation reduces to Q1->2 = (T1 - T2)/tauSolving this equation for the equilibrium temperature of the small sphere gives the result T2 = T1. This means that the equilibrium temperature of the small sphere is equal to its initial temperature.

1. What is "Radiation Energy problem"?

The "Radiation Energy problem" refers to the challenge of harnessing and controlling the energy emitted by radioactive materials, such as nuclear reactors and radioactive waste. It involves understanding the behavior of radiation, its effects on living organisms and the environment, and finding ways to safely utilize it for various purposes.

2. What are the potential dangers of radiation energy?

Exposure to high levels of radiation energy can be harmful and even deadly to living organisms. It can cause radiation sickness, genetic mutations, and an increased risk of cancer. Additionally, the improper handling of radioactive materials can lead to environmental contamination and long-term negative effects on ecosystems.

3. How do scientists protect themselves from radiation energy?

Scientists who work with radioactive materials take precautions to protect themselves from radiation exposure. This may include wearing protective gear, working in specialized facilities, and following strict safety protocols. Additionally, ongoing research and advancements in technology continue to improve safety measures and minimize the risks associated with working with radiation energy.

4. Can radiation energy be used for good purposes?

Yes, radiation energy has many beneficial uses in various industries, such as medicine, energy production, and research. For example, radiation therapy is a common treatment for cancer, and nuclear power plants generate electricity for millions of people worldwide. However, it is crucial to use radiation energy responsibly and carefully to avoid negative consequences.

5. What are some solutions to the radiation energy problem?

There are ongoing efforts to find solutions to the radiation energy problem, including improved safety measures for handling radioactive materials and the development of alternative sources of energy. Additionally, advancements in nuclear technology, such as nuclear fusion, could potentially provide a safer and more sustainable way to harness the energy of radioactive materials.