1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio and proportion

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    If 100 bu of corn per acre remove 90lb of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (N, P, and K, respectively), how many pounds of N, P, and K are removed by the yield of 135u per acre?

I try to figure out how to starting to solve this problem but dont know how

some help please

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is hardly a "Calculus and Beyond" problem. A better place would be the Precalculus section.

Wouldn't the ratio of 100 bu of corn to 90 lb N, P, and K be the same as the ratio of 135 lb corn to X lb of N, P, and K?

Start with that.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    I am still confuse dont know how to start, the bu and lb are same thing?

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4

Mark44

No, they're not. bu stands for bushel, a unit of volume, and lb stands for "pound", a unit of weight.

Start by translating this sentence into an equation: Wouldn't the ratio of 100 bu of corn to 90 lb of fertilizer be the same as the ratio of 135 lb corn to X lb of fertilizer?

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    ok here I got 100bu/90lb=135bu/xlb
    then I cross multiply
    90*135 = 12150/100
    = 121.5lb
    please advise me see if this is right

thanks

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6

Mark44

Yes.
    Where did x go? You started with an equation with x, and you should end up with an equation that has x = ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook