Solving Ratios & Proportions Questions - Get Help Here!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Eabzolid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary: If it pertains to the problem posted in this thread, that is, if it is a follow-up question to the chain problem, then please post it in this thread. If you wish to ask about another problem, then please begin a new thread for the new problem. :D
Eabzolid
Hi. I'm doing some questions about ratio and proportions. I'm just having difficulty with some of the questions and i hope you guys can help. So question 1:

A length of chain 15'-3" long weighs 78lbs. How long would a similar chain be if it weighs 102lbs. (Answer to nearest inch)
Length =_______' _______"

If you can just kind of lead me to how to get the answer, it would be great. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's let $L$ be the length in question...that the chain is similar implies a constant length per weight ratio, and so we may state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{L}{102}=\frac{183}{78}\)

I converted the length of the 78 lb. chain to inches, since we are to round $L$ to the nearest inch.

Now, solve for $L$...what do you find?

183/78= 2.346

Do I need to convert that to feet?

Thanks

Eabzolid said:
183/78= 2.346

Do I need to convert that to feet?

Thanks

The RHS of the equation I posted is not the value of $L$...you need to solve that equation for $L$. :D

MarkFL said:
The RHS of the equation I posted is not the value of $L$...you need to solve that equation for $L$. :D

Oh okay.

I got 239.30. Do I then convert that to get feet and inches as my answer?

Thanks

Eabzolid said:
Oh okay.

I got 239.30. Do I then convert that to get feet and inches as my answer?

Thanks

First, round the number you correctly found to the nearest inch, thus:

\(\displaystyle L\approx239\)

Now, since the length of the first chain was given in feet and inches, I would convert this to the same format. :D

MarkFL said:
First, round the number you correctly found to the nearest inch, thus:

\(\displaystyle L\approx239\)

Now, since the length of the first chain was given in feet and inches, I would convert this to the same format. :D

Okay. I'll try

I'm just wondering if there is a formula I should follow? Or does it all depend on what the question is asking.

I got more questions that has 3 ratio number like 9:4:1.

Is it always converting when it comes to these questions?

Thanks

For this problem, since the chains were said to be similar, I took this to mean the length per weight ratio would be the same for both chains. So, I decided to label the unknown length $L$, and then equate the length/weight of the two chains and then solve for the unknown length. :D

May I ask another question?

Eabzolid said:
May I ask another question?

If it pertains to the problem posted in this thread, that is, if it is a follow-up question to the chain problem, then please post it in this thread. If you wish to ask about another problem, then please begin a new thread for the new problem. :D

What are ratios and proportions?

Ratios and proportions are mathematical concepts that describe the relationship between two or more quantities. A ratio compares two quantities by division, while a proportion states that two ratios are equal to each other.

How do I solve a ratio?

To solve a ratio, you can use the cross-multiplication method. First, set up the ratio as a fraction. Then, cross-multiply by multiplying the numerator of one fraction by the denominator of the other fraction. Finally, solve for the missing quantity by dividing the product by the remaining denominator.

What is the difference between a part-to-part ratio and a part-to-whole ratio?

A part-to-part ratio compares the relationship between two parts of a whole, while a part-to-whole ratio compares the relationship between one part and the whole. For example, a part-to-part ratio of 2:3 would mean that for every 2 parts of one quantity, there are 3 parts of another quantity. A part-to-whole ratio of 2:5 would mean that one part is equal to 2/5 of the whole.

How do I solve a proportion?

To solve a proportion, you can use the cross-multiplication method or the equivalent fractions method. In the cross-multiplication method, set up the two ratios as fractions and cross-multiply. In the equivalent fractions method, find the equivalent fractions of the two ratios and solve for the missing quantity using basic algebraic operations.

What are some real-world applications of ratios and proportions?

Ratios and proportions are used in many fields, such as finance, cooking, and engineering. They can be used to calculate ingredient ratios in recipes, determine the appropriate mix of ingredients for a product, and solve complex financial problems. They are also used in everyday situations, such as calculating sale prices and determining appropriate tip amounts.