Flow Rate Ratio of Two Tubes: Calculation

In summary, the question asks for the ratio of the flow rates of two tubes carrying the same incompressible fluid. Using Poiseuille's law and assuming the two tubes have the same pressure difference (ΔP), we can set up two equations for flow rates (F1 and F2). After simplifying and dividing one equation by the other, we find that the ratio of the flow rates is 53.932.
Ekh

Homework Statement

Two tubes carry the same incompressible fluid with viscosity 1.5 Pl. They have lengths L1 = 6 and L2 = 22 m and diameters d1 = 1.2 and d2 = 4.5 cm. What is the ratio of their flow rates F1/F2?

Homework Equations

Poiseuille's law: 8nLI/(pi*r^4)
while n is viscosity
L is the length
R is radius

The Attempt at a Solution

F1= (8*1.5*6*I) / (pi*(1.2/2)^4)
F2= (8*1.5*22*I) / (pi*(4.5/2)^4)

The ratio F1/F2 is:
(8*1.5*6*I) / (pi*(1.2/2)^4)* (pi*(4.5/2)^4)/ (8*1.5*22*I)

F1/F2= 46.296*1.1649= 53.932.

And this is wrong, can u help??

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write out your steps more clearly. 8nLI/(pi*r^4) is not Poiseuille's equation; Poiseuille equation is ΔP=8nLI/(pi*r^4), where I represents flow rate. You now have 2 equations:

ΔP1=8nLI1/(pi*r1^4)
ΔP2=8nLI2/(pi*r2^4)

If you assume the two ΔP's are the same and divide one equation by the other, you'll see your mistake.

Thank you a lot :)

1. What is the flow rate ratio of two tubes?

The flow rate ratio of two tubes is the comparison of the amount of fluid passing through each tube per unit of time. It is expressed as a ratio or percentage, and can be used to determine the relative flow rates of the two tubes.

2. How is the flow rate ratio of two tubes calculated?

The flow rate ratio of two tubes can be calculated by dividing the flow rate of one tube by the flow rate of the other tube. The flow rate can be measured in volume per unit time (such as liters per minute) or mass per unit time (such as grams per second).

3. What factors can affect the flow rate ratio of two tubes?

The flow rate ratio of two tubes can be affected by factors such as the diameter and length of the tubes, the viscosity of the fluid, and any obstructions or restrictions in the tubes. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the flow rate ratio.

4. Why is it important to calculate the flow rate ratio of two tubes?

Calculating the flow rate ratio of two tubes can provide important information about the efficiency and performance of a system. It can also help in troubleshooting and identifying any issues or imbalances between the two tubes, which can affect the overall functioning of the system.

5. Can the flow rate ratio of two tubes be altered?

Yes, the flow rate ratio of two tubes can be altered by adjusting the flow rates of each tube or by changing the factors that can affect the flow rate, such as the diameter or length of the tubes. In some cases, using different types of tubes or adjusting the fluid properties can also impact the flow rate ratio.