Ratio of Kinetic to Potential Energy of Simple Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the simple harmonic oscillator has a maximum potential energy at half the amplitude, but the kinetic energy is not always half of its maximum value.
darkblue

Homework Statement

Calculate the ratio of the kinetic energy to the potential energy of a simple harmonic oscillator when its displacement is half its amplitude.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv2 = 1/2kA2sin2(wt)
U=1/2kx2 = 1/2kA2cos2(wt)
KEmax=1/2kA2
Umax=1/2KA2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm thinking is that when the displacement is half the amplitude, the simple harmonic oscillator is halfway to the equilibrium point. When the displacement is half of the amplitude, is the potential energy half of its maximum value? At this point, wouldn't the kinetic energy be half of its maximum value as well? I assumed this is true and attempted to answer the question, which yielded an answer of 1, which is incorrect. Is there something wrong with my logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, since the potential energy term goes as the square of the displacement, and not linearly with displacement, half the amplitude does not correspond to half the maximum potential energy.

Just plug x=1/2A into your equation for U=1/2kx^2 and then use conservation of energy to find the kinetic energy at that point.

Oh, I see what you're saying...but I'm a little lost at the conservation of energy part. I don't understand how to use that here. I know the potential energy is equal to 1/2k(A/2)^2 but isn't the kinetic energy just equal to 1/2mv^2? I understand that kinetic energy is related to the amplitude of the motion because velocity is related to amplitude...but I'm still not able to see how they are connected.

The total energy of the system E=T+U where T is kinetic, and U is potential energy. If you have U and E you can find T. In a SHO E is a constant and does not change. You just found U. Do you know what E is?

I took a closer look at my notes. Is the total energy equal to the square of the amplitude?

Oh woops, I don't think that makes sense.

Ok, at maximum amplitude, v=0, correct? That means at maximum amplitude, T=0. Now if E=T+U (at ALL times), and if T=0 then E=?

Yup, that makes sense...so E = U = 1/2kA^2, so at this point U is at its maximum value. As you said, for a simple harmonic oscillator, E is a constant...so this would mean that E is always equal to 1/2kA^2, right?

E=1/2kA^2
U=1/8kA^2
T=?

Is the above correct? Now I'm starting to understand what you're saying. We did some problems like this in class...if you don't know E, you can always choose the point where either T or U is equal to 0 to figure it out...right? I mean, you'd only have to do that if you didn't know one or the either, like in this question.

Yes, you are on the right track. Now just figure out T from the above, and take a ratio.

The important thing to note here is that in a SHO, there is no damping. As such there is no dissipation of the energy, so E remains constant.

I got T=3, which is the correct answer. Thanks so much for all your help! :)

1. What is the definition of the ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator is a measure of the balance between the energy associated with motion (kinetic energy) and the energy associated with displacement from a stable equilibrium position (potential energy).

2. How is the ratio of kinetic to potential energy calculated in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the formula Ek/Ep = 1/2kx2/1/2kA2, where Ek is the kinetic energy, Ep is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and A is the amplitude of oscillation.

3. What is the significance of the ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator is constant and equal to 1, indicating that the energy is continuously converted between kinetic and potential forms as the oscillator moves back and forth. This ratio also determines the period and frequency of the oscillation.

4. How does changing the amplitude of oscillation affect the ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator?

Changing the amplitude of oscillation does not affect the ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a simple harmonic oscillator. This is because the ratio is determined by the spring constant and the displacement from equilibrium, which are both constant regardless of the amplitude.

5. Is the ratio of kinetic to potential energy the same for all types of oscillators?

No, the ratio of kinetic to potential energy may vary for different types of oscillators. For example, in a damped oscillator, some energy is lost to friction and the ratio may decrease over time. In a forced oscillator, the ratio may depend on the frequency and amplitude of the external force.