1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio of potentials and charges on two spheres

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two "solid" conducting spheres with radii r1= 4 and r2= 1. I.E., r2/r1= 1/4.

The two spheres are separated by a large distance so that the field and the potential at the surface of sphere #1 only depends on the charge on #1 and the corresponding quantities on #2 only depend on the charge on #2.

Place an equal amount of charge on both spheres, q1=q2=Q.

After electrostatic equilibrium on each sphere has been established, what is the ratio of the two potentials V2/V1 at the "centers" of the two solid conducting spheres?

What is the ratio of the electric fields E2/E1 at the "surfaces" of the two spheres?

2. Relevant equations
    As near as I can figure out:

q= charge
    r= Displacement from the reference point in the direction of the field

Delta V= Kc (q/r)

E= Magnitude of the electric field
    d= Displacement

Delta V= -E Delta d

3. The attempt at a solution

At first, I set the charge on each at 10 for the sake of convenience, than ran the numbers through the formula. I ended up with V1= 2.2475e10 and V2=8.99e10. When V2 was divided by V1, I ended up with a ratio of 4.

As far as electric fields went, I ran the second formula and then divided E2 by E1 for a ratio of 16.

Did I work this problem correctly?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted