Office Ratio & Probability Question

In summary: So far I've got Mm= Mm/15/7+20 I then rearranged to Mm*15/7=Mm+20. Am I correct...Yes, you are correct! Now, solve for Mm!Yes, you are correct! Now, solve for Mm!In summary, the ratio of male to female workers in a small office changes from 15:7 in the morning of day 1 to 7:5 in the evening of day 1. 164 males and 184 females entered the office at lunchtime and stayed for the remainder of the day. To find the number of females that were in the office at the start of day 1, it is necessary to solve for the
Physiona
QUESTION:
Office
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=X.png
is a small office.

In the morning of day 1 the ratio of male to female workers in the office is 15 : 7.
In the evening of day 1 the unsimplified fraction of male to female workers in the office is
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=%5Cfrac%7B35%7D%7B25%7D.png

164 males entered the office at lunchtime and stayed for the remainder of the day.
184 females entered the office at lunchtime and stayed for the remainder of the day.
Find the number of females that were in Office
at the start of day 1.

ATTEMPT:
This question has been a bang in the head for me. I have went to my teacher and he took half an hour and still didn't figure it out. I'm not sure where to begin it from, as the unsimplifed fraction is tripping me up.
Can someone help offer guidance for me please?

Attachments

• chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=X.png
    238 bytes · Views: 920
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=%5Cfrac%7B35%7D%7B25%7D.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=%5Cfrac%7B35%7D%7B25%7D.png
    346 bytes · Views: 940
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=X.png
    238 bytes · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a question where you have to write everything in symbols and then solve for what is asked.

As a start, you can simplify the fraction...

Denote ##M_m## for the amount of males in the morning, ##F_m## for the amount of females in the morning, ##M_e## for the amount of males in the evening and ##F_e## for the amount of females in the evening.

It is given that ##M_m/F_m = 15/7## and ##M_e/F_e = 7/5##

You are also given that ##M_m + 164 = M_e ## and ##F_m + 184 = F_e##.

Now, solve for ##F_m##.

Likes MaximumTurtles and Physiona
Math_QED said:
This is just a question where you have to write everything in symbols and then solve for what is asked.

As a start, you can simplify the fraction...

Denote ##M_m## for the amount of males in the morning, ##F_m## for the amount of females in the morning, ##M_e## for the amount of males in the evening and ##F_e## for the amount of females in the evening.

It is given that ##M_m/F_m = 15/7## and ##M_e/F_e = 7/5##

You are also given that ##M_m + 164 = M_e ## and ##F_m + 184 = F_e##.

Now, solve for ##F_m##.
Right thanks for that. How do I determine what the value for ##F_e##? I've been given the fraction share of it which is 5, how do I put that knowledge into figuring out the answer?

Physiona said:
Right thanks for that. How do I determine what the value for ##F_e##? I've been given the fraction share of it which is 5, how do I put that knowledge into figuring out the answer?

What have you tried? You have ##4## equations that contain information? Obviously, you will have to combine them: plug equations in others, and try to isolate one variable. Once you found one, you will easily find everything, although only ##F_m## is asked.

Math_QED said:
What have you tried? You have ##4## equations that contain information? Obviously, you will have to combine them: plug equations in others, and try to isolate one variable. Once you found one, you will easily find everything, although only ##F_m## is asked.
Yes I do have 4 equations. The main tricky thing here is which one to begin with and rearrange it. I do have a few unknowns in one equation itself as well.
If I deduce to find one part of th ratio, ##(15+7=22)## then ##(22/15= 1.46)##. I get decimals and this isn't continuous data.

Physiona said:
Yes I do have 4 equations. The main tricky thing here is which one to begin with and rearrange it. I do have a few unknowns in one equation itself as well.
If I deduce to find one part of th ratio, ##(15+7=22)## then ##(22/15= 1.46)##. I get decimals and this isn't continuous data.

I did a quick calculation and obtained a round answer, so you are doing something wrong. Just play around with the equations a lot. Put one equation in another, and replace the variables until you obtain something where only one variable is left. Don't think you are wrong because it takes a couple of steps.

Math_QED said:
I did a quick calculation and obtained a round answer, so you are doing something wrong. Just play around with the equations a lot. Put one equation in another, and replace the variables until you obtain something where only one variable is left. Don't think you are wrong because it takes a couple of steps.
Can you at least give me one starting point to start from to rearranging the equations? I seriously don't know where to begin. From the ratio/fraction or the whole number addition

Physiona said:
Can you at least give me one starting point to start from to rearranging the equations? I seriously don't know where to begin. From the ratio/fraction or the whole number addition

It really doesn't matter actually. But okay:

##M_e/F_e = 7/5 \implies M_e = 7F_e/5 = 7/5(F_m + 184)##

and continue substituting equations (substitute for example something on the left, and something on the right now and you will have an equation with one variable)

Math_QED said:
It really doesn't matter actually. But okay:

##M_e/F_e = 7/5 \implies M_e = 7F_e/5 = 7/5(F_m + 184)##

and continue substituting equations (substitute for example something on the left, and something on the right now and you will have an equation with one variable)
Thank you.
I've reached up to Me 7/5(Mm/15/7 +184)
The Mm/15/7 I got by rearranging Mm\Fm=##15/7##

Physiona said:
Thank you.
I've reached up to Me 7/5(Mm/15/7 +184)
The Mm/15/7 I got by rearranging Mm\Fm=##15/7##

Good job. Now, use that ##M_m + 164 = M_e## on the left side! Post me if you got the solution for ##M_m##.

Math_QED said:
Good job. Now, use that ##M_m + 164 = M_e## on the left side!
Oh I think I'm getting it now! Do I collect the like terms on one side? So I collect Mm on the left hand side and rearrange the rest?

Physiona said:
Oh I think I'm getting it now! Do I collect the like terms on one side? So I collect Mm on the left hand side and rearrange the rest?

Yes! Let me know what your answer is, then I can confirm that you are right!

Likes Physiona
Math_QED said:
Yes! Let me know what your answer is, then I can confirm that you are right!
So far I've got Mm= Mm/15/7+20 I then rearranged to Mm*15/7=Mm+20. Am I correct so far?

Physiona said:
So far I've got Mm= Mm/15/7+20 I then rearranged to Mm*15/7=Mm+20. Am I correct so far?

No, sorry. You must have made a mistake somewhere.

Math_QED said:
No, sorry. You must have made a mistake somewhere.
Alright hang on. Retreating back is Mm+164=7/5(Mm/15/7 +184) correct?

Physiona said:
Alright hang on. Retreating back is Mm+164=Mm/15/7 +184 correct?

Nope. Post all your steps. Even tiny ones. Then I can see where you go wrong.

Math_QED said:
Nope. Post all your steps. Even tiny ones. Then I can see where you go wrong.
Right okay.
Me/Fe=7/5
Me=Fe##(7/5)##
Me= 7/5(Fm+184) [Fe=Fm+184]
Mm\Fm=15/7 (REARRANGING IS 7Mm/15 =Fm)
So 7/5(7Mm/15 +184)
Then Mm+164=7/5(7Mm/15+184)
I'm up to here, where's my mistakes?

Physiona said:
Right okay.
Me/Fe=7/5
Me=Fe##(7/5)##
Me= 7/5(Fm+184) [Fe=Fm+184]
Mm\Fm=15/7 (REARRANGING IS 7Mm/15 =Fm)
So 7/5(7Mm/15 +184)
Then Mm+164=7/5(7Mm/15+184)
I'm up to here, where's my mistakes?

Now you are correct. The first time you didn't add parentheses, so it was false. Continue to find ##M_m## and then the result you are looking for. I think I'm really spoiling you by immediate answers :P

Likes berkeman and Physiona
Math_QED said:
Now you are correct. The first time you didn't add parentheses, so it was false. Continue to find ##M_m## and then the result you are looking for. I think I'm really spoiling you by immediate answers :P
Right okay. I'll post my answer when I've found it. (Actually, you're not. You are guiding me too much though, just let me know if I've gone wrong and let me fix it myself it'll be better that way)

Likes berkeman
Math_QED said:
I'm now on /frac(##M_m##+164)=7##M_m##\15+184
Is this right..?

Physiona said:
I'm now on /frac(##M_m##+164)=7##M_m##\15+184
Is this right..?

You say me I'm guiding you too much. Your equation isn't clear (Parentheses?). Solve the equation for ##M_m## and I'll tell you if you are right or not. Have some confidence!

Math_QED said:
You say me I'm guiding you too much. Your equation isn't clear (Parentheses?). Solve the equation for ##M_m## and I'll tell you if you are right or not. Have some confidence!
(Not about confidence, about going on the right track!)
Right I don't know but I've tried attempts I keep getting decimals and then I've reached a whole number however I'm not sure if it's right. ##M_m##=104

Physiona said:
(Not about confidence, about going on the right track!)
Right I don't know but I've tried attempts I keep getting decimals and then I've reached a whole number however I'm not sure if it's right. ##M_m##=104

Nope. Post working.

##M_m##+164=7/5(7##M_m##\15+184)
##M_m##+164/7/5=7##M_m##\15+184
15##M_m##=49/5##M_m##+20
26/5##M_m##=20
##M_m##=104

Physiona said:
15##M_m##=49/5##M_m##+20
26/5##M_m##=20
##M_m##=104

These expressions are incomprehensible: what do you mean by ##M_m##\15? I have never seen something like that (although the backslash "\" is common in LaTeX commands and in some computer languages).

Is the second-last line supposed to be ##\frac{26}{5M_m},## or is it ##\frac{26}{5} M_m?## If it is the first, you can write it in-line as ##26/(5 M_m)##, and if it is the second you can write it in-line as ##(26/5) M_m,## both of which are absolutely clear and unambiguous. However, no matter which you mean your "answer" ##M_m = 104## is clearly wrong. You don't need anybody to tell you that; you can substitute ##M_m = 104## into the formula to check if it works. (That is a habit you should develop now, starting today----checking your work. After all, in an exam there will be nobody available to check your work for you.)

Last edited:
Physiona said:
15##M_m##=49/5##M_m##+20
26/5##M_m##=20
##M_m##=104

What you write is ambiguous, and has a lot of mistakes.

Do you know the distributivity law?

##a(b+c)= ab + ac##

Math_QED said:
What you write is ambiguous, and has a lot of mistakes.

Do you know the distributivity law?

##a(b+c)= ab + ac##
Yes I do know the law.
Tell me this, is the final answer 126? (As I got that)

Ray Vickson said:
These expressions are incomprehensible: what do you mean by ##M_m##\15? I have never seen something like that (although the backslash "\" is common in LaTeX commands and in some computer languages).

Is the second-last line supposed to be ##\frac{26}{5M_m},## or is it ##\frac{26}{5} M_m?## If it is the first, you can write it in-line as ##26/(5 M_m)##, and if it is the second you can write it in-line as ##(26/5) M_m,## both of which are absolutely clear and unambiguous. However, no matter which you mean your "answer" ##M_m = 104## is clearly wrong. You don't need anybody to tell you that; you can substitute ##M_m = 104## into the formula to check if it works. (That is a habit you should develop now, starting today----checking your work. After all, in an exam there will be nobody available to check your work for you.)
Thank you for clarifying that as I already know. I'm not entirely familiar with the Latex programming as I'm just a beginner starting to develop my knowledge of it.

Physiona said:
Thank you for clarifying that as I already know. I'm not entirely familiar with the Latex programming as I'm just a beginner starting to develop my knowledge of it.

LaTeX had nothing to do with it: I am talking about clarity, which is where parentheses come into use. You can type it out without LaTeX or any other fancy tools. You could type (26/5)M_n or (26/5)Mn or (25/5)*Mn and that would be perfectly clear and readable.

At your stage of learning it is important to grasp the "parsing" rules for reading and writing mathematical expressions, so you should never, ever, type something like a/b+c or a+b/c if you mean ##\frac{a}{b+c}## or ##\frac{a+b}{c}##; instead, type a/(b+c) or (a+b)/c. These are both clear and say exactly what you intend, and they take about 1/2 second longer to type than the original expressions. The other two expressions I wrote would mean ##\frac{a}{b}+c## and ##a+\frac{b}{c}## when read according to the official rules for mathematical formulas.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159
Physiona said:
Yes I do know the law.
Tell me this, is the final answer 126? (As I got that)

Correct! Well done.

Likes Physiona
Math_QED said:
Correct! Well done.
Thank you!

Likes member 587159

1. What is the formula for calculating office ratio?

The formula for calculating office ratio is:
Office Ratio = Number of Office Spaces / Total Number of Spaces

2. How do you determine the probability of getting a specific office space?

To determine the probability of getting a specific office space, you need to know the total number of office spaces and the total number of available spaces. Then, divide the number of office spaces by the total number of spaces and multiply by 100 to get the probability as a percentage.

3. Can office ratio and probability be used to predict the availability of office spaces?

Yes, office ratio and probability can be used to predict the availability of office spaces. By analyzing the ratio of office spaces to total spaces and calculating the probability of getting a specific office space, you can make an educated prediction on the availability of office spaces.

4. How can office ratio and probability be used to optimize office space allocation?

Office ratio and probability can be used to optimize office space allocation by providing a data-driven approach to determining the best allocation of office spaces. By analyzing the ratio and probability, you can identify any imbalances and make adjustments to optimize the use of office space.

5. Are there any limitations to using office ratio and probability for office space allocation?

While office ratio and probability can be useful tools for office space allocation, there are some limitations to consider. These include changes in the availability of office spaces, changes in the number of employees, and changes in the layout or design of the office space. It is important to regularly review and update these metrics to ensure accurate and effective use for office space allocation.