1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio problem

1. Jul 12, 2007 #1
    In an 8-gram solution of water and alcohol, the ratio by mass of water to alcohol is 3 to 1. If 12 grams of a solution consisting of 2 grams water for each gram of alcohol is added to the 8-gram solution, what fraction by mass of the new solution is alcohol?

-- I know that the first thing you should do is try to find the mass of alcohol in both the 8-gram and the 12-gram solution. However, to find the amount of alcohol in the 8-gram solution why would you multiply it by 1/4 and not 1/3? Its just confusing how the ratios can be written like 1:3 and then 1/4?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2007 #2

bel

The mass of the alcohol to water is 1:3, but the mass of the alcohol to the original 8 grammes solution is 1:4, hence multiply by 1/(3+1), hope this clears up the confusion.

4. Jul 12, 2007 #3
    Lol, I still don't get it. I know that for every 1 gram of alcohol there are 3 grams of water. I can solve it by doing it that way. But I can't seem to get why it changes when you find the amount of alcohol in the 8-gram solution. Mabye I'm dumb or something. I just suck at ratios.

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand the difference between

"The ratio of alchohol to water is 1:3" and
    "The ratio of alchohol to solution is 1:4"?

6. Jul 14, 2007 #5
    Well kind of. Solution would be the water + alcohol right? So you just add the msas of alcohol and the mass of water to get 4. Am I doing it correct?

7. Jul 14, 2007 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Yes. Why don't you imagine a really simple example. Say you added one gram of alcohol to 3 grams of water. You now have a total of 4 grams solution of which one gram is alcohol. It's not exactly rocket science as they say. :)

8. Jul 14, 2007 #7
    I see! Thanks! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?