Calculating Profits: Help Needed!

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves dividing a profit of $11,000 between two individuals, Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones, who invested $50,000 and $25,000 respectively. However, because Mr. Jones's investment was for only 3/4 of the year, his share of the profit needs to be reduced by 25% and added to Mr. Smith's share. To solve this, we can calculate the total amount invested by each individual (600,000 for Mr. Smith and 225,000 for Mr. Jones), divide the profit by this total, and then multiply by the individual's total investment to find their share.
Gringo123
I am having difficulty with this problem and I was wondering if anyone can talk me through it?

Mr Smith starts a business with $50,000.
3 months later, Mr Jones joins the business. He invests $25,000
The profit at the end of the year is $11,000. It is divided in proportion to how much was invested and for how long.

I know that I have to express the $11,000 as a fraction which can then be divided between the 2 men accordingly, but I have no idea how to achieve that! Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If both Smith and Jones had made their investments at the start of the year, the problem would be a lot easier. In that case, they would split the profit in the ratio 2:1, with Smith getting 2/3 of the profit and Jones getting 1/3 of the profit.

The complication is that Jones made an investment for only 3/4 of the year, while Smith's investment was for the entire year. One solution would be to reduce Jones's profit by 25% and add that amount of money to Smith's share. Note that you can't simply reduce Jones's share of the profit by 25% and increase Smith's share by 25%. The base amounts are different, so you would be adding more money to Smith's share than was subtracted from Jones's share.

The way I would go about it is to say Smith has invested $50,000 for 12 months, multiplying gives 600,000.

Jones has invested $25,000 for 9 months, multiplying gives 225000. Divide $11,000 by the sum of these, and then multiply by 600000 for Smith's share and 225000 for Jones' share

What is the formula for calculating profits?

The formula for calculating profits is: Revenue - Expenses = Profit.

What counts as revenue when calculating profits?

Revenue includes all income or sales generated by a business, such as product sales, service fees, or advertising revenue.

What expenses should be included when calculating profits?

All expenses related to running the business should be included when calculating profits, including costs for materials, labor, rent, utilities, and any other operational expenses.

Can non-monetary items be factored into profits?

Yes, non-monetary items such as inventory, equipment, and property can be factored into profits by assigning a monetary value to them.

How can I use profit calculations to improve my business?

Profit calculations can help you identify areas where you can cut costs, increase revenue, or adjust pricing to improve profitability. They can also help you make informed decisions about investments and expansions for your business.