Measuring the Distance Between Two Galaxies

In summary, the distance between the centers of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies is approximately 295.9cm, based on a scale model where the galaxies are represented as dinner plates. There may be a typo in the problem, as the given intergalactic distance is significantly understated.
Hannah755

Homework Statement

The diameter of our disk-shaped galaxy, the Milky Way, is about 1.8E+5 light-years (ly). The distance to the Andromeda galaxy, which is the spiral galaxy nearest to the Milky Way, is about 1.8E+6 ly. If a scale model represents the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies as dinner plates 26.9 cm in diameter, determine the distance between the centers of the two plates.

Homework Equations

1.8E5/1.8E6 = 26.9cm/x

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey! So I attempted this question as a ratio: 1.8E5/1.8E6 = 26.9cm/x, and then solved for x, getting 269cm. I tried inputting this as the answer which was incorrect. Then I noticed that the question was asking for the distance between the centres of the 2 plates, so I tried adding both their radiuses (radii?), and got 269cm + 13.45cm + 13.45cm = 295.9cm. I tried inputting this as the answer, but it was incorrect as well. I feel like I might be completely messing up an incredibly simple question :P Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not told exactly what the distance between the galaxies refers to. the most reasonable guess is that it is centre to centre, so there is no reason to add or subtract any radii. (But if there were, I think you would be subtracting, not adding.)
I see that the intergalactic distance given is significantly understated. It's about 2.5E6ly. This makes me suspect a typo in the problem, repeating the 1.8 instead of stating 2.5.

What is the purpose of measuring the distance between two galaxies?

The purpose of measuring the distance between two galaxies is to gain a better understanding of the vastness of our universe and the distribution of galaxies within it. It also allows us to study the expansion of the universe and the movement of galaxies.

How is the distance between two galaxies measured?

The distance between two galaxies can be measured using various techniques, including redshift measurements, standard candles, and the Hubble law. Redshift measurements use the Doppler effect to measure the shift in light waves from distant galaxies, which can indicate their distance. Standard candles, such as supernovae, have a known luminosity, allowing us to calculate their distance based on their observed brightness. The Hubble law uses the relationship between a galaxy's distance and its recessional velocity to estimate its distance.

What is the unit of measurement used for measuring the distance between two galaxies?

The most commonly used unit for measuring intergalactic distances is the light-year, which is the distance light travels in one year. This is a convenient unit for measuring vast distances in space, as it accounts for the speed of light, which is the fastest speed possible.

Why is it challenging to measure the distance between two galaxies accurately?

Measuring the distance between two galaxies accurately is challenging due to the vastness of space and the limitations of our current technology. The distances between galaxies are immense, making it difficult to determine precise measurements. Additionally, the movement of galaxies and the expansion of the universe can also affect the accuracy of distance measurements.

What are the implications of accurately measuring the distance between two galaxies?

Accurate measurements of the distance between two galaxies have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It can help us determine the age and size of the universe, the rate of its expansion, and the distribution of matter and energy within it. This information can also aid in the development of theories and models about the origin and evolution of the universe.