Optimizing Sugar Paste Consistency with Vacuum-Assisted Heating

In summary, the person is trying to develop a sugar paste for hair removal and is currently using 8 tbs sugar, 4 tbs water, and 2 citric acid. They heat the mixture to 128 degrees Celsius to get a firm consistency, but it takes a long time and turns a burnt color. They are asking what is causing this and how they can speed up the process without burning the mixture or changing its color. The color is caused by the sugar decomposing at high temperatures, but there may not be a way to avoid it. Alternatively, the person could try heating the water under a vacuum to lower the temperature. They are advised to use a pressure cooker as a vacuum chamber and see how it affects the
maria1
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to understand how to achieve a good consistency of my mix of sugar, water and citric acid without getting a burnt color
Hello,

I'm in the process of developing a sugar paste for hair removal and trying to find a good ratio between sugar, water and acid in order to get a gewy consistency. I currently use 8 tbs sugar, 4 tbs water and 2 citric acid and let it reach a temperature around 128 degrees Celsius (262.4 degrees F) on the stove to have a nice and firm consistency. However it takes too long time and gets a burnt color. On a chemistry level - what is causing this? What changes do I need to make in order to lower the time it takes to get a similar consistency (and therefore also not burning it and having a lighter color)?

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Color is due to the sugar decomposition (caramelization) that occurs at elevated temperatures,. not much that can be done about it.

Elevated temperature is typically used to speed up the dissolution, in this case it can be also required to allow some hydrolysis of the sugar (sucrose gets split into glucose and fructose). Both processes will take place even at room temperature, albeit much more slowly. Could be leaving the mixture for much, much longer would produce the same consistency without the color (not that it has to happen, thing are not as simple as I signaled above), but having it ready fast and without color doesn't sound likely to me.

If the heating is just to reduce the water content you could heat the water under a vacuum. The vacuum lowers the boiling point of the water, keeping the temperature down. (at least until it all boils away!)

One way to implement this is to use a Pressure Cooker as the vacuum chamber, and draw a vacuum in it with whatever vacuum pump you can obtain for experimenting.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is the ideal ratio for making lemonade?

The ideal ratio for making lemonade is 1:8:1, meaning 1 part sugar to 8 parts water to 1 part citric acid. This will result in a balanced and refreshing flavor.

2. Can I adjust the ratio to suit my personal taste?

Yes, you can adjust the ratio of sugar, water, and citric acid to suit your personal taste. If you prefer a sweeter lemonade, you can increase the amount of sugar. If you prefer a more tart flavor, you can increase the amount of citric acid.

3. What is the purpose of citric acid in the ratio?

Citric acid is added to the ratio to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and add a tangy flavor to the lemonade. It also helps to preserve the lemonade and prevent it from spoiling quickly.

4. Can I substitute citric acid with lemon juice?

Yes, you can substitute citric acid with lemon juice in the ratio. However, keep in mind that lemon juice may alter the flavor and acidity of the lemonade, so you may need to adjust the ratio accordingly.

5. How do I measure the ratio accurately?

The easiest way to measure the ratio accurately is by using a kitchen scale. Weigh out the ingredients according to the desired ratio and mix thoroughly. You can also use measuring cups and spoons, but keep in mind that they may not be as precise as a scale.