Does the Ratio Test Guarantee Divergence? Proving with Bernoulli's Inequality

In summary, if the limit of |a_{n+1}/a_{n}| is greater than 1, then the sequence a_{n} approaches infinity as n approaches infinity. Additionally, this also means that the sequence a_{n} cannot approach 0 as n approaches infinity. This can be shown by using the Binomial formula and Bernoulli's inequality to prove that the sequence is unbounded.
dtl42

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex] Lim|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}| = L > 1, [/tex] then [tex]{a_{n}\rightarrow \infty[/tex] as [tex]n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]

Also, from that, deduce that [tex]a_{n}[/tex] does not approach 0 as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty [/tex].

Homework Equations

The book suggests showing some number r>1 such that for some number N, [tex]|a_{n+1}|> r|a_{n}|[/tex] for all n >N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, and what have you done on this problem? Have you shown, perhaps by induction on n, that [itex]|a_{n+1}|> r|a_n|[/itex]? Once you've done that, you might consider the "comparison test".

How would I start that proof by induction? How can I verify that [itex]
|a_{2}|> r|a_{1}|
[/itex]. Also, for the second part, once I show that [tex]|a_{n}|[/tex] tends to [tex]\infty[/tex] isn't it basic logic that [tex]a_{n}[/tex] cannot approach 0?

dtl42 said:
How would I start that proof by induction? How can I verify that [itex]
|a_{2}|> r|a_{1}|
[/itex].
You can't. It's not necessarily true. However, since the limit [itex]a_{n+1}/a_n[/itex] is less than 1, it must be true for some N. Start your induction from that.

Also, for the second part, once I show that [tex]|a_{n}|[/tex] tends to [tex]\infty[/tex]
isn't it basic logic that [tex]a_{n}[/tex] cannot approach 0?

Yes, it is. Just state the basic logic.

HallsofIvy said:
You can't. It's not necessarily true. However, since the limit [itex]a_{n+1}/a_n[/itex] is less than 1, it must be true for some N. Start your induction from that.

Do you mean greater than 1, or am I really missing something? And how would I start the induction? Just that for some N, [itex]|a_{2}|>r|a_{1}|[/itex]?

dtl42 said:
Do you mean greater than 1, or am I really missing something? And how would I start the induction? Just that for some N, [itex]|a_{2}|>r|a_{1}|[/itex]?

If L>1, then is the sequence [tex]{a_{n}}[/tex] bounded or unbounded?
Suppose not, If L<1, then what happens when [tex]{\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } a_{n}[/tex]?

If L>1 then the sequence would be unbounded right? Because the next larger term is always of a greater magnitude than the previous. If L is less than 1, then the sequence is bounded, and the limit goes to 0?

dtl42 said:
If L>1 then the sequence would be unbounded right? Because the next larger term is always of a greater magnitude than the previous. If L is less than 1, then the sequence is bounded, and the limit goes to 0?

Correct.

Now, since book suggested: show that [tex] |a_{n+1}|> r|a_{n}|[/tex] for all indices [tex]n\geq N[/tex], you can use the Binomial formula to show that the sequences is unbounded. Hope that's clear.

REALLY IRRELEVANT but...
i've always wondered this, but how do you guys get all those math symbols in there? like the absolute value symbol, or the greater than equal to sign?

oceanflavored said:
REALLY IRRELEVANT but...
i've always wondered this, but how do you guys get all those math symbols in there? like the absolute value symbol, or the greater than equal to sign?

It's LaTeX https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

konthelion said:
Correct.

Now, since book suggested: show that [tex] |a_{n+1}|> r|a_{n}|[/tex] for all indices [tex]n\geq N[/tex], you can use the Binomial formula to show that the sequences is unbounded. Hope that's clear.

What do you mean by the Binomial Formula? I'm still kind of confused after taking several days away.

Well, you can use Bernoulli's Inequality, which is [tex](1+b)^n \geq 1 +nb[/tex]

Suppose that [tex] L>1[/tex], then define [tex]b=\frac{L+1}{2}[/tex] since b<L. There exists a natural number N such that
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} \geq b[/tex] for all indices [tex]n \geq N[/tex] (just a reiteration of the problem)

From here, use the Bernoulli's inequality to show that for some k and let r = [tex]b^k[/tex], then [tex]|a_{N+k}| \geq r|a_{N}|[/tex] which implies that the sequence [tex]a_{n}[/tex](the hint that your book gave) is unbounded.

1. What is the ratio test for series?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1 or the limit does not exist, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

2. How is the ratio test performed?

To perform the ratio test, you must first find the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term in the series. Then, take the limit of this ratio as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1 or the limit does not exist, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

3. What is the significance of the limit in the ratio test?

The limit in the ratio test represents the behavior of the terms in the series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, it means that the terms in the series are decreasing at a fast enough rate for the series to converge. If the limit is greater than 1, it means that the terms in the series are increasing too quickly for the series to converge. If the limit is equal to 1 or the limit does not exist, the behavior of the series cannot be determined and another test must be used.

4. Can the ratio test be used for all series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series with positive terms. If the series has negative terms or alternating signs, another test such as the alternating series test must be used. Additionally, if the series does not have a limit as n approaches infinity, the ratio test cannot be used and another test must be used.

5. How do you know if the ratio test is inconclusive?

If the limit in the ratio test is equal to 1 or the limit does not exist, the test is inconclusive. This means that the behavior of the series cannot be determined using this test and another test must be used to determine convergence or divergence. It is important to note that if the limit is equal to 1, the ratio test may still be able to determine convergence or divergence when used in conjunction with other tests.