1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio Test Help

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm reviewing for a test and working on the practice problems for the ratio test that Pauls Online Notes gives. So here is given problem:
    eq0001MP.gif

Here is his solution for the problem:
    eq0002MP.gif

2. The attempt at a solution
    I worked this out before I looked at the solution and I got it wrong. I had it right up until the 4th step. Can someone explain this step to me? I don't understand why the (n-1)! is broken up into (n-1)(n-2)! Isn't this supposed to be the decomposition of (n-2)!? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just trying to learn from my mistakes so that I won't do this again.

Thanks for stopping by!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure I understand your question; (n-1)! =(n-1)(n-2)...2.1= (n-1)[(n-2)(n-3)...2.1]= (n-1)(n-2)! is a decomposition of (n-1)!

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3
    Then what is the decomposition on (n-2)! ?

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this format, it is (n-2)(n-3)! . In general, (n-k)!= (n-k)(n-k-1)! if n>k, to avoid a -1!.

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    Thank you so much!! This helps me out tremendously!

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad it helped, mmont012.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted