Ratio Test Problem: Homework Statement & Solutions

In summary: And that is the correct way to solve the problem using the ratio series test. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to the ratio series test, where the student is unable to reproduce the solution given by another student. The student continues to get the same solution and wonders if the other student made a mistake or if they are losing their mind. After further discussion and clarification, it is determined that the student's solution is incorrect and the correct solution involves expanding the factorial term in the equation.
Dobie

Homework Statement

See attached image. (it should say "ratio" not "ration")

Homework Equations

Ratio series test: An+1/An

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked this problem over and over and continue to get the same solution. Some guy worked it on the board a couple of days ago and got something different, which our teacher said was right.

I cannot reproduce this and I wonder if the student got it wrong and the professor just didn't check it very well. Either that or I'm losing my mind. There is a test tonight and the problem is from a review Monday.

The answer I continue to get is: 1/2n^2+2n = 1/∞ = 0<1 so it converges.

The other student got: 2n+1/n+1 = 2>1 diverges.

I can post a picture of my work if needed. If I really do have the incorrect answer, can someone please post an image of their work so that I can see what's going on?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20140506_210751.jpg
    20140506_210751.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dobie said:

Homework Statement

See attached image. (it should say "ratio" not "ration")

Homework Equations

Ratio series test: A(n+1)/An

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked this problem over and over and continue to get the same solution. Some guy worked it on the board a couple of days ago and got something different, which our teacher said was right.

I cannot reproduce this and I wonder if the student got it wrong and the professor just didn't check it very well. Either that or I'm losing my mind. There is a test tonight and the problem is from a review Monday.

The answer I continue to get is: 1/(2n^2+2n) = 1/∞ = 0<1 so it converges.

The other student got: (2n+1)/(n+1) = 2>1 diverges.

I can post a picture of my work if needed. If I really do have the incorrect answer, can someone please post an image of their work so that I can see what's going on?

Thank you

Your answer is incorrect. And the way you are sloppy with parentheses, it's no surprise. Post your work if you want us to help you.

Well thanks for the advice on using parentheses. I do not believe the formula should have them as you have in your correction, though.

292dbb59e1c322676185178eade7b015.png

Was the other student's answer correct? Did you solve the problem or just assume I missed it based on my sloppy use of (or lack thereof) parentheses?

My work:

20140507_140652.jpg

Edit: went back and did not distribute the 2.

Last edited:
Dobie said:
Well thanks for the advice on using parentheses. I do not believe the formula should have them as you have in your correction, though.

292dbb59e1c322676185178eade7b015.png

Was the other student's answer correct?

Yes.

It's hard to follow what you did but I think you have calculated$$
(2(n+1))! = (2n+2)n!$$which isn't correct.

LCKurtz said:
Yes.

It's hard to follow what you did but I think you have calculated$$
(2(n+1))! = (2n+2)n!$$which isn't correct.

Even if I do not distribute the 2 (I pulled the 2 back out toward the end), I am still left with 1/∞. Thanks for illustrating the correct way to solve the problem, though!

##(2(n+1))!=(2n+2)(2n+1)((2n)!)##

Likes 1 person
xiavatar said:
##(2(n+1))!=(2n+2)(2n+1)((2n)!)##

Thank you so much for this explanation. I did not know it expanded like that in this case, but I've reworked it and it comes out perfectly.

Just note that for next time that (a(n+1))!=(an+a)!=(an+a)(an+a-1)(an+a-2)...(2)(1). Always remember to carry out the operation in the parentheses before you do the operations outside of the parentheses. I'm guessing that's why you factored out a 2. You cannot fact out the 2 like that when your doing a factorial.

Examples.
(2*3)!=(6)!=6*5*4*3*2*1.
(4*3)!=(12)!=12*11*10*...*3*2*1

Likes 1 person

What is the Ratio Test?

The Ratio Test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It compares the ratio of consecutive terms in the series to a limit value, and if the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent, and if the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent.

What is the purpose of the Ratio Test?

The purpose of the Ratio Test is to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It is a useful tool for evaluating the behavior of series and can help determine the convergence of more complex series.

How is the Ratio Test performed?

The Ratio Test involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series and comparing it to a limit value. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent, and if the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive, and another test must be used.

What are the limitations of the Ratio Test?

The Ratio Test can only be used for series with positive terms. It also cannot determine the convergence or divergence of alternating series. Additionally, the limit value used in the test may be difficult to find for some series, making it challenging to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

How is the Ratio Test different from the Root Test?

The Ratio Test compares the ratio of consecutive terms in a series to a limit value, while the Root Test compares the nth root of the absolute value of each term in a series to a limit value. Additionally, the Ratio Test is more useful for determining the convergence or divergence of series with factorial or exponential terms, while the Root Test is better for series with powers or radical terms.