1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational and Irrational Numbers

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    I need to show that a rational + irrational number is irrational. I am trying to do a proof by contradiction.

So far I have:

Suppose a rational, b irrational.
    Then a = p/q for p, q in Z.
    Then a + b = p/q + b = (p + qb) / q
    But I don't know where to go from here because I still have a rational plus an irrational and that is what I am trying to show.

Also, would a similar proof work to show that an irrational + irrational = irrational?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

When you're doing a contradiction, you should assume the opposite of the premise and show that it leads to an absurd conclusion.

For this problem, try this :

Let [itex]a = \frac{p}{q}[/itex] where p and q are coprime integers.

b is irrational.

Now let us say their sum is a rational number, which can be expressed as [itex]\frac{s}{t}[/tex], where s and t are coprime integers.

Then,

[tex]a + b = \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

[tex]b = \frac{s}{t} - a = \frac{s}{t} - \frac{p}{q} = \frac{sq - pt}{qt}[/tex]

We have just shown that b can be expressed as the ratio of two integers. But b is irrational.

This is a contradiction. Hence the assumption is false and the original premise is true.

This isn't even true in general. What can you say about the sum of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex](5 - \sqrt{2})[/tex] ?

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The proof is one line. :smile:

So, you're doing proof by contradiction, and have assumed that there are rational numbers p and q, and an irrational number z, such that:

p + z = q

right?

It is also fairly easy to construct counterexamples... but the method might be easier to find once you've done the first problem.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4
    I need to show that a rational - irrational number is irrational. I am trying to do a proof by contradiction.
    Plz send me the related answer as I need it....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since this clearly has nothing to do with physics, I am moving it to "precalculus homework".

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Anjuyogi, take a look at the previous posts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?