Solving Rational Dependence in Vector Spaces

• Thread starter bndnchrs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the problem is that the set of rationally dependent vectors has a measure of zero, but a countable union of sets of measure zero has a measure.
bndnchrs
Hi guys:

I've got a problem I've been working on for some weeks and this might be the key to unlocking it.

The question is:

Given a vector in R^k, what is the measure of the set of vectors whose components are rationally dependent?

Rationally dependent means for a given vector, you may find a vector with rational coefficients such that their inner product is 0.

(1/2,1/3,1/6) is RD because of (2,3,-12), for example.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1/2,1/3,1/6) is RD because of (2,3,-12), for example.
But this is easily generalized: every 3-tuple (p,q,r) with rational entries p,q,r is RD because
[tex](p,q,r)\cdot (1/p,1/q,-2/r)=0[/tex]
and 1/p,1/q,-2/r are rational. This is then easily generalized to R^n instead of R^3. Hence the set of RD vectors contains then ones with rational entries. But the latter one is already dense in R^n.

I suppose it was late, and this meant I had to improperly state the question!

Really, the question is does the set of RD vectors have nonzero measure over R^k, not whether they are dense or not. Of course the rationals are rationally dependent and dense, but they are a set of measure zero in R. So then the issue is whether a.a. collections of irrationals are RD, and my intuition says no.

So RID vectors requires k-1 components to be irrational. I don't have a hold on determining exactly "how much" of these sets are RD.

Last edited:
I think I understand the statement, but I'm not totally sure. I suppose that you mean what is the measure of the set of all vectors which are rationally dependent (if this is even measurable)? I've never heard of rationally dependent before...

I think this is the answer:
Suppose [itex]r\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. Note that the measure of the set of all vectors perpendicular to [itex]r[/itex] is zero. Now, what is the measure of a countable union of sets of measure zero?

Does that help?

tmccullough said:
I think I understand the statement, but I'm not totally sure. I suppose that you mean what is the measure of the set of all vectors which are rationally dependent (if this is even measurable)? I've never heard of rationally dependent before...

I think this is the answer:
Suppose [itex]r\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. Note that the measure of the set of all vectors perpendicular to [itex]r[/itex] is zero. Now, what is the measure of a countable union of sets of measure zero?

Does that help?

I don't see why you're only taking a countable union. There are certainly uncountably many vectors in Rn.A modified argument seems to work though. Pick a vector with rational components q in Qn. Any rationally dependent vector is perpendicular to some such q, so lies in one of countably many measure zero sets

Last edited:
That's not modified at all, that is the argument. I didn't want to give everything away.

Much appreciated. I believe this solves my question.

Don't worry about revealing the "proof", I would say that this problem is just a redefinition of a small mechanism in a larger problem, which has nothing to do with linear algebra, actually, so letting me in on the mechanism is of no great detriment to my progress.

Thank you both!

1. What is rational dependence in vector spaces?

Rational dependence in vector spaces refers to the relationship between a set of vectors where one vector can be expressed as a combination of the other vectors using rational coefficients.

2. Why is solving rational dependence important in vector spaces?

Solving rational dependence allows us to determine the linear dependence or independence of a set of vectors, which is a crucial concept in linear algebra. It helps us understand the structure and properties of vector spaces and has applications in various fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How do you solve rational dependence in vector spaces?

The first step is to write out the vectors in a matrix form. Then, use elementary row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form. If the matrix has a row of all zeros, then the vectors are rationally dependent. If not, then the vectors are rationally independent.

4. Can rational dependence occur in a set of two vectors?

Yes, rational dependence can occur in a set of two vectors if one vector is a multiple of the other. For example, (2, 4) and (4, 8) are rationally dependent because (4, 8) = 2(2, 4).

5. What is the difference between rational dependence and linear dependence?

Rational dependence refers to the relationship between vectors where rational coefficients are used in the linear combination, while linear dependence refers to the same relationship but with real coefficients. Rational dependence is a subset of linear dependence, as all rationally dependent vectors are also linearly dependent.