1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational Function Graphing

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Y1=(x3+3x2-4)/(x2)

2. Relevant equations
    Slant Asymptote at y=x+3. (X-1) and (X+2) appear to be intercepts in the back of the book. How do I factor the numerator to get that?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this is simple and there is a method to find the zeros of the numerator that I am overlooking- please help.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Rational Function Graphing - AWAKE TILL SOLVED

A more systematic method is to apply Rational Roots Theorem. You want to find some binomials that can divide the polynomial numerator and leave no remainder. Try dividing by (X - 1) and see what results. Can you factor this result? OR, try dividing the numerator by (X + 2). How is the result? Remainder?

My guess is you want three linear binomials as a factorization for the numerator, since it has degree of 3. If those other binomials, X-1 and X+2 are factors, then your function would have value of ZERO when X=+1 and when X=-2.

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Rational Function Graphing - AWAKE TILL SOLVED

The only integer factors of 4 are (1)(4) and (2)(2). As symbolipoint said, by the "rational roots theorem" the only rational (in this case, integer) roots must be factors of 4: [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 2[/itex], [itex]\pm 4[/itex]. It easy to try those in the polynomial and see that x= 1 makes it 0: x-1 is a factor. Trying x= -2 also gives a root so x+2 is also a factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook