1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational Function Integration

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    I want to integrate:

1/[(x + 1)*(x^2 + x +1)] dx

Now the quadratic has complex routes, and we have not done any integration with that yet, so I broke it up into its partial fractions.

A/(x +1) + (Bx + C)/(x^2 + x +1)

But I cannot seem to find the numbers A B C. mamybe I am just missing something real obvious?? Any pointers in the right direction? Cheers guys.

PS. Is the proof of the theory that you can break up fractions like that beyond a first year math for science course?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what a "math for science" course is, but the proof that there exist numbers A, B, C that will work doesn't involve anything more than basic algebra.

Here you want to find A, B, C so that
    [tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)(x^2+ x+1)}= \frac{A}{x+1}+ \frac{Bx+ C}{x^2+ x+ 1}[/tex]
    Multiply both sides by (x+1)(x2+ x+ 1) to get
    [tex]1= A(x^2+ x+ 1)+ (Bx+ C)(x+1)[/tex]
    If you let x= -1, that reduces to 1= A.

I expect you had already done that. The problem is that that there is no value of x that makes x2+ x+ 1= 0. You cannot "reduce" the equation that easily but since the equation is true for all x, you can still get two equations for B and C by letting x be any number you want. I would suggest putting x= 0 and x= 1 into the equation.
    If x= 0, the equation becomes 1= A+ C and you already know A. If x= 1, the equation becomes 1= 3A+ (B+ C)(2) and you already know A and C.

Another method that always works is to multiply out the right side and combine "like powers"
    [tex]1= A(x^2+ x+ 1)+ (Bx+ C)(x+1)[/tex]
    [tex]1= Ax^2+ Ax+ A+ Bx^2+ Bx+ Cx+ C[/tex]
    [tex]1= (A+ B)x^2+ (A+ B+ C)x+ (A+ C)[/tex]
    Since that must be true for all x, corresponding coefficients must be the same: A+ B= 0, A+ B+ C= 0, A+ C= 1.

To integrate the term with x2+ x+ 1 in the denominator, complete the square to get (x+ 1/2)2+ 3/4 and let u= x+ 1/2.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Thank you.

I had already got A=1, and C=0. I don't know how I didn't get B. I guess I was a bit tired and lost track :shy:

I was just wondering about the other part. My Mathematics course is part of a science course, so sometimes proofs aren't done, like they would be in a pure math course.

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    On this question again, how do I integrate the second part if there is also an x in the top?

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As I said before, complete the square in the denominator so it is (x+ 1/2)2+ 3/4, then let u= x+ 1/2. You will have something of the form [itex](u+ c)/(u^2+ 3/4)[/itex]. Separate that as [itex]u/(u^2+ 3/4)+ c/(u^2+ 3/4)[/itex]. The first is easy: let v= u2+ 3/4. For the second remember that the derivative of arctan(x) is 1/(x2+ 1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?