Constructing a Rational Function with Given Asymptotes and Intercepts

In summary, the equation of a rational function f that satisfies the given conditions is f(x) = A (x+1)(x-2)/(x+3)(x-1)(x-2), where A is a constant that can be determined by plugging in an x-intercept value of 0 and solving for A. This function has vertical asymptotes at x=-3, x=1, and x=2 (due to the hole), and a horizontal asymptote at y=0.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

Find an equation of a rational function f that satisfies the given conditions:
vertical asymptotes: x=-3, x=1
horizontal asymptote: y=0
x-intercept: -1; f(0)= -2
hole at x=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vertical Asymptotes are (x+3) and (x-1). Also (x-2) because of the hole

(x+1) would go in the numerator because it corresponds with the x-intercept. I'm not sure where f(0)= -2 fits in this. (x+2) goes in the numerator because of the hole.

(x+1)(x-2)/(x+3)(x-1)(x-2)

The answer looks like 6x^2-6x-12/x^3-7x+6 so I'm obviously missing something, but I don't know what.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there. The graph of the formula you wrote down has all the required asymptotes. If you multiply the whole thing by a constant, that doesn't change. So instead of
f(x) = (x+1)(x-2)/(x+3)(x-1)(x-2)
you might equally well take
f(x) = A (x+1)(x-2)/(x+3)(x-1)(x-2).
Plug in x = 0. What should A be to satisfy the last requirement?

When you are satisfied with your answer, multiply out the brackets in the denominator and the numerator. You'll see that it agrees with the answer given.

I cleaned up my original post, sorry about that.

I figured out what piece I was missing. The horizontal asymptote is zero because there is a higher power in the denominator. The constant in the numerator doesn't change this fact...I incorrectly though the 6 would affect both.

Thank you for pointing that out!

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form f(x) = P(x)/Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are polynomials.

What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all real numbers except for the values that make the denominator Q(x) equal to zero. These values are known as the vertical asymptotes.

How do you find the horizontal asymptote of a rational function?

To find the horizontal asymptote of a rational function, you need to look at the degrees of the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, there is no horizontal asymptote. If the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote is the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote is y=0.

What is a removable discontinuity in a rational function?

A removable discontinuity in a rational function occurs when there is a common factor between the numerator and denominator that cancels out, resulting in a hole in the graph. This can be seen as a point where the function is undefined, but can be filled in to make the function continuous.

How do you solve rational function equations?

To solve a rational function equation, you need to find the values of x that make the function equal to zero. These values are known as the roots or x-intercepts. To find the roots, set the numerator equal to zero and solve for x. However, it is important to check for any excluded values in the domain that would make the function undefined.