What are the steps for finding asymptotes of rational functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding asymptotes of rational functions. The speaker mentions forgetting how to find them and requests someone to show them how. They also mention that there are three types of asymptotes - vertical, horizontal, and oblique - and that there are other higher order asymptotes that can be classified by degree. The speaker plans to post three questions about all three types of asymptotes later.
mathdad
Hello everyone. Time to get back to math. I have forgotten how to find asymptotes of rational functions. I think there are three types of asymptotes. Can someone show me how to find asymptotes of rational functions? What exactly is an asymptote?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Hello everyone. Time to get back to math. I have forgotten how to find asymptotes of rational functions. I think there are three types of asymptotes. Can someone show me how to find asymptotes of rational functions? What exactly is an asymptote?

There are many types of asymptotes. It depends on how you wish to classify them.

Vertical and Horizontal are the most easily recognized.

Oblique is next. Just a linear asymptote that is neither Vertical nor Horizontal.

After that, it is possible to group into just "Higher Order", or you may wish to classify as Quadratic, Cubic, Quartic, Quintic, etc.

We stretch the definition of Rational Function a little if we find anything other than a polynomial asymptote.

I will post 3 questions tonight involving all three asymptotes.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as a quotient of two polynomial functions. It has the general form of f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all the real numbers except for the values of x that make the denominator (q(x)) equal to 0. This is because division by 0 is undefined in mathematics.

3. How do you simplify a rational function?

To simplify a rational function, you can factor both the numerator and denominator and then cancel out any common factors. This will help reduce the complexity of the function and make it easier to evaluate.

4. What are the key features of a rational function?

The key features of a rational function include the vertical asymptotes, horizontal asymptotes, x-intercepts, and y-intercept. These features can help determine the behavior of the function and its graph.

5. How do you graph a rational function?

To graph a rational function, you can use the key features mentioned above and plot points that satisfy the function. You can also use transformations, such as shifting and stretching, to help graph the function accurately.