Solving Rational Inequalities: x < 2/(5x-1) | My Final Answer Matches Textbook!

In summary, the conversation is about solving a mathematical equation and the question of whether the answer is correct. The individual is double checking their work to ensure they are correct at all steps.
odolwa99
My final answer matches that of the textbook, but do I need to change the < to > at any point as I solve this? I ask because, if I assume x is 1 (until I solve for x), then the question statement and parts of the solution are made untrue.

Homework Statement

Solve the following for x [itex]\in\mathbb{R}:[/itex] [itex]\frac{x}{2x-1}<-2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{x(2x-1)^2}{2x-1}<-2(2x-1)^2[/itex]
[itex]x(2x-1)<-2(4x^2-4x+1)[/itex]
[itex]2x^2-x<-8x^2+8x-2[/itex]
[itex]10x^2-9x+2<0[/itex]
[itex](5x-2)(2x-1)=0[/itex]
[itex]x=\frac{2}{5}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{2}{5}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hi odolwa99! :smile:
odolwa99 said:
… if I assume x is 1 (until I solve for x), then the question statement and parts of the solution are made untrue.

but 1 isn't between 2/5 and 1/2,

so why is that a difficulty? :confused:

Yeah, I'm just double checking my work so I can be absolutely sure I'm correct at all steps. Thanks for looking at it for me.

What is the first step in solving a rational inequality?

The first step in solving a rational inequality is to make sure that the rational expression is in its simplest form. This means factoring both the numerator and denominator and canceling out any common factors.

How do you find the critical values of a rational inequality?

The critical values of a rational inequality are the values that make the denominator equal to zero. To find these values, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for x.

What is the next step after finding the critical values?

After finding the critical values, the next step is to plot these values on a number line. This will help determine the intervals where the inequality is true or false.

How do you determine the solution to a rational inequality?

The solution to a rational inequality is determined by examining the intervals on the number line where the inequality is true. The solution is expressed as an interval or combination of intervals.

What is the final step in solving a rational inequality?

The final step in solving a rational inequality is to check the solution by plugging in values from each interval into the original inequality. If the inequality is true, then the solution is correct. If not, then the solution needs to be adjusted.