Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational integral

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1
    can anyone show me step by step of how to evaluate the integral of
    [x^m/(x^n+a^n)^p](dx) from negative infinity to positive infinity. all i know is that contour integration is required to solve this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2
    You'll have to use Residue Theorem. In order to do that, consider the complex integral

[tex]\int_\gamma \frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p}dz=\int_{\gamma_1}\frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p}dz +\int_{\gamma_{2}}\frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p}dz,[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma_1=(x,0)[/itex] and [itex]\gamma_2=Re^{i\theta}[/itex], [itex]x\in(-R,R)[/itex] and [itex]\theta\in(0,\pi)[/itex] (i.e. [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the semicircle of radius [itex]R[/itex] enclosing the upper semiplamen [itex]\mathbb{H}^+[/itex]). Then

[tex]\int_\gamma \frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p}dz=\int_{-R}^R \frac{x^m}{(x^n+a^n)^p}dx+\int_0^\pi \frac{R^m e^{im\theta}}{(R^n e^{in\theta}+a^n)^p}iRe^{i\theta}d\theta.[/tex]

Now you have to prove that as [itex]R\rightarrow \infty[/itex] the second integral goes to zero, so

[tex]\left|\int_0^\pi \frac{R^m e^{im\theta}}{(R^n e^{in\theta}+a^n)^p}iRe^{i\theta}d\theta\right|\le \frac{\pi R^{m+1}}{(R^n-a^n)^p}, \qquad R\gg |a| [/tex]

and therefore [itex]m,n[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] cannot be arbitrary (doh!). So assuming [itex]m+1<np[/itex], then

[tex]\int_\gamma \frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p}dz=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{x^m}{(x^n+a^n)^p}dx.[/tex]

Now, using the Residue Theorem

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{x^m}{(x^n+a^n)^p}dx=\int_\gamma \frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p}dz=2\pi i \sum_i Res\left(\frac{z^m}{(z^n+a^n)^p},a_i\right),[/tex]

where the [itex]a_i[/itex] are roots of the equation [itex]z^n+a^n=0[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{H}^+[/itex].

It's all straightforward from here.

---EDIT---

I'm also assuming that [itex]m,n,p \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. If not, then you'll have to pick branches of the logarithm and the problem is a lot different.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    AIRAVATA did a good job showing the remainder goes to zero. This happens to be a special case of a more general case.

Theorem: Consider a complex function [tex]f(z)[/tex] having the following properties:
    1)[tex]f[/tex] is meromorphic in upper half plane having finitely many poles [tex](c_j)\ 1\leq j\leq n[/tex].
    2)[tex]c_j\not \in \mathbb{R}[/tex], i.e. not on real line.
    3)[tex]\lim_{|z|\to \infty}zf(z) = 0[/tex] with [tex]z[/tex] in upper half plane.
    Then,
    [tex]\mbox{PV}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx = 2\pi i \sum_{j=1}^n \mbox{res}(f,c_j)[/tex]

EDIT: Not if [tex]m,n,p\not \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] then the theorem does not apply since it is no longer meromorphic.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #4

how would you arrive at your final answer. i understand how you have done it so far but i have no idea how arrive at the final answer which has the gamma function and sin in it. I actually have the final answer right here: http://www.sosmath.com/tables/integral/integ41/integ41.html it is the last integral at the bottom of the page (or #8).

6. Aug 8, 2007 #5
    Well, I can assure you is not an easy task but it is possible. Although it migh have nothing to do with what I posted before.

I present to you the beta function:

[tex]B(\xi,\eta)=\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{\xi-1}}{(1+u)^{\xi+\eta}}du,\qquad \hbox{Re }\xi>0,\quad \hbox{Re }\eta>0,[/tex]

wich can be writen as*

[tex]B(\xi,\eta)=\frac{\Gamma(\xi)\Gamma(\eta)}{\Gamma(\xi+\eta)}.[/tex]

Also, the Gamma function satisfies the following identity*

[tex]\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin \pi z}.[/tex]

So, taking the change of variable [itex]x^n/a^n[/tex] in the Beta function, we have

[tex]B(\xi,\eta)=na^{n\eta}\int_0^\infty \frac{x^{n\xi-1}}{(a^n+x^n)^{\xi+\eta}}dx.[/tex]

Then, taking [itex]\xi=(m+1)/n[/itex] and [itex]\eta=p-(m+1)/n[/itex], you have the following relation between your integral and the Beta function:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{x^m}{(a^n+x^n)^p}dx=\frac{a^{m+1-np}}{n}B\left(\frac{m+1}{n}, p-\frac{m+1}{n}\right),[/tex]

and I assume is straight sustitution and Gamma function manipulation from here to the answer you want.

*The proof of this relations can be found in
    N.N. LEBEDEV, Special Functions and their Applications, Dover Publications Inc, New York, 1972.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  7. Aug 8, 2007 #6
    thaks man i was having trouble with that problem for quite a while now

8. Aug 8, 2007 #7
    The identity can also be established by computing,
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ax}}{e^x+1} dx[/tex] on the rectangle [tex]\pm R \pm \pi i, \pm R[/tex]. And then using a Beta substitution this converts into the Gamma integral.

9. Aug 8, 2007 #8

do you have link to access that book as a pdf file?

10. Aug 9, 2007 #9
    Nope, I have the book right here in my right. There must be one in your local library. There is a lot of information regarding the Gamma and Beta functions in the wikipedia. I'm sure it will be of some help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?