1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational Mechanics

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    Hello dears,
    My faculty is Cvil Engineering. We had a subject "Rational Mechanics".
    The professor didn't gave textbook. I have my written notes during lectures only.
    I have many doubts and misunderstandings, so I need good book.

Can you help me with this?
    Actually, I have found some books from internet, but it's not covered all of our topics.
    The contents of that course was:

1. Kinematics
    2. Statics
    3. Dynamics
    Sorry I don't have full contents now. I will post as fast as I can.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Mubina.
    I've never heard the term "rational mechanics". From the subjects that you mention, I guess that the closest thing would be mechanical engineering or bio-engineering, depending upon the state of life of the specimen. I'm afraid that I don't know anything about either one, but someone should be with you shortly.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    Perhaps Mubina means 'Rotational Mechanics'.

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    RATIONAL MECHANICS: PROGRAM OF THE COURSE (2012)
    Prof. Alberto Sapora
    1. Vectors, basic concepts: dot product, cross product, scalar triple product, direction cosines, derivative of a vector, applied vectors. Spatial curves – Frenet-Serret formulas.

2. Kinematic of a point particle: trajectory, velocity and acceleration. Plane motion, circular
    motion, harmonic motion, areal velocity, helicoidal motion.
    Kinematic of a rigid body: Eulers’ angles, different rigid motions, Poisson’s formulas,
    fundamental equation of kinematics. Plane rigid motions: Chasles’ Theorem. Definitions of
    different constraints, rolling without slipping, Lagrangian coordinates. Infinitesimal and virtual displacements. Relative motions: velocity and acceleration.

3. Geometry of masses: centroid, first moments of area, moments of inertia, Huygens-Steiner Theorem, principal axes. Basic concepts related to the space: ellipsoid of inertia.

4. Forces, energy and work: linear momentum, angular momentum, kinetic energy and related
    theorems. Forces, potential and work.

5. Statics: point particle: friction. Rigid body: cardinal equations of statics, Principle of Virtual
    Works, stationarity of potential.

6. Dynamics: cardinal equations of dynamics: theorems of linear momentum and of angular
    momentum. Theorem of work-kinetic energy. Lagrange equations. Vibrations and stability:
    basic concepts.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6
    Usually, 2nd-year engineering curricula include courses in "Statics" and "Dynamics" (which are both part of the larger description of "mechanics"). Your post describes what appears to be a comination of those two courses. If you want printed resources on those, seek out material on those two topics.

8. Jul 18, 2012 #7
    Thanks for all answers. I'll try to search as you said tygerdawg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook