Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational Mechanics

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    Hello dears,
    My faculty is Cvil Engineering. We had a subject "Rational Mechanics".
    The professor didn't gave textbook. I have my written notes during lectures only.
    I have many doubts and misunderstandings, so I need good book.

Can you help me with this?
    Actually, I have found some books from internet, but it's not covered all of our topics.
    The contents of that course was:

1. Kinematics
    2. Statics
    3. Dynamics
    Sorry I don't have full contents now. I will post as fast as I can.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Mubina.
    I've never heard the term "rational mechanics". From the subjects that you mention, I guess that the closest thing would be mechanical engineering or bio-engineering, depending upon the state of life of the specimen. I'm afraid that I don't know anything about either one, but someone should be with you shortly.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    Perhaps Mubina means 'Rotational Mechanics'.

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    RATIONAL MECHANICS: PROGRAM OF THE COURSE (2012)
    Prof. Alberto Sapora
    1. Vectors, basic concepts: dot product, cross product, scalar triple product, direction cosines, derivative of a vector, applied vectors. Spatial curves – Frenet-Serret formulas.

2. Kinematic of a point particle: trajectory, velocity and acceleration. Plane motion, circular
    motion, harmonic motion, areal velocity, helicoidal motion.
    Kinematic of a rigid body: Eulers’ angles, different rigid motions, Poisson’s formulas,
    fundamental equation of kinematics. Plane rigid motions: Chasles’ Theorem. Definitions of
    different constraints, rolling without slipping, Lagrangian coordinates. Infinitesimal and virtual displacements. Relative motions: velocity and acceleration.

3. Geometry of masses: centroid, first moments of area, moments of inertia, Huygens-Steiner Theorem, principal axes. Basic concepts related to the space: ellipsoid of inertia.

4. Forces, energy and work: linear momentum, angular momentum, kinetic energy and related
    theorems. Forces, potential and work.

5. Statics: point particle: friction. Rigid body: cardinal equations of statics, Principle of Virtual
    Works, stationarity of potential.

6. Dynamics: cardinal equations of dynamics: theorems of linear momentum and of angular
    momentum. Theorem of work-kinetic energy. Lagrange equations. Vibrations and stability:
    basic concepts.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6
    Usually, 2nd-year engineering curricula include courses in "Statics" and "Dynamics" (which are both part of the larger description of "mechanics"). Your post describes what appears to be a comination of those two courses. If you want printed resources on those, seek out material on those two topics.

8. Jul 18, 2012 #7
    Thanks for all answers. I'll try to search as you said tygerdawg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook