1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational numbers with denoms not divisible by a prime p mod I is isomorphic to Z_p

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the ring of rational numbers whose reduced form denominator is not divisble by a prime, p, mod an ideal the set of elements of the above set whose numerators are divisible by p is isomorphic to Z_p

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems very trivial: Use 1st homomorphism theorem with phi(a/b) = a(modp), but I am having a hard time showing that such a mapping is actually a homomorphism additively. I.E., phi(a/b + c/d) = phi(ad+bc/bd) = ad+bc mod(p) =/= a modp + b modp = phi(a/b) + phi (c/d).

I am stuck here and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Rational numbers with denoms not divisible by a prime p mod I is isomorphic to Z_

Instead of constructing an isomorphism directly, maybe you can show that it's a field with p elements. This would imply it as well.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Re: Rational numbers with denoms not divisible by a prime p mod I is isomorphic to Z_

Worked well, I showed the following:
    I is maximal in R, since if we have N an ideal with N=/= I then, there is a/b in N with p|\a -> a=/= 0, for if a=0, p|a. Then, there exists a^-1 in Q s.t. a*a^-1 = a^-1 * a = 1. b=/= 0 -> there exists b^-1 with the same property. Since N is an ideal, (a^-1/b^-1)*(a/b) is in N -> 1 is in N -> N=R -> I is maximal -> R/I is a field (R is commutative with 1).

Then, the number of distinct additive cosets r+I is precisely p QED

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook