1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational series question

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(n + 1) / (3n - 1)

2. Relevant equations

A_n = L

3. The attempt at a solution

lim n-> infinity
    (n/n + 1/n) / (3/n - 1/n)

= (1 + 0) / (3 - 0)

= 1/3

Thats the solution, however i have questions..

1.) If a series is in rational form like this, is it typical to always divide by the largest n in the denominator?

2.) What is 1/3? Is that the limit of the series? In other words, 1/3 is what it converges to?

3.) I'm confused as to why the series approaches infinity, so why is 1/3 the limit?

any help to explain what is going on, would help greatly. Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2
    1) yes
    2) 1/3 is the limit of the sequence a_n = (n + 1)/(3n - 1) as n approaches infinity, and yes, we say a_n converges to 1/3
    3) a_n is sequence not a series, and it converges to 1/3 as n->infinity

4. Apr 9, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To clarify the last part, (3), {an} is not a series (or sum) but a sequence. Further, the sequence does not "approach infinity", it is only the index, n, that "goes to infinity". In fact, {an} decreases steadily from a1= 1 down to 1/3.

5. Apr 10, 2007 #4
    thankyou.

i have two other problems that i believe both converge if i'm doing them correctly below:

both n_infinity: 1/(n^2 + 4) and 1/(n^2 + 1)

so it seems that for both of these problems that the numerator will be 1/n^2
    which is 0? so both converge to 0? just want to make sure they do not diverge.
    thanks

also......................

Okay, as for a problem like this: 1/(3n +1)

where i'm asked to solve it using the intergral test. Do i first want to reduce it like we've done above?

thanks so far.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?