Rational Varieties: Finding Birational Maps & Inverses

• Thread starter Diophantus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, there are standard tricks for finding birational maps for simple affine algebraic varieties, such as projection from a point of high multiplicity. However, it can be very difficult to prove that a variety is rational. It is also important to consider the field being algebraically closed. For example, a cubic hypersurface in P^4 can be mapped to P^3 with degree 2, but not with degree 1.
Diophantus
I am trying to show that some given simple affine algebraic varieties are rational (i.e. birationally equivalent to some A^k).

Are there any tricks or even nice algorithms for finding the birational maps and their inverses? Examples are the curve x^2 + y^2 = 1 and the surface x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1?

I have tried to tackle the first one by assuming that the map from A^1 to the curve takes the form of a pair of quotients of linear polynomials, and then try to work out suitable coeffiecients of these polynomials but it gets very messy very quickly and offers no insight into making the thing invertible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
there are standard tricks for examples including the ones you name.

e.g. if a hypersurface (e.g. a plane curve or surface in space) of degree n has a point of multiplicity n-1, then projection from that point defines a generically one to one map to a coordinate space.

but I think you need characteristic zero to conclude the map is birational. maybe not.

in general it is very hard to prove varieties are rational.

You might also need some condition on algebraic closure as well.

Yes the field is assumed to be closed, sorry. I have now learned of some tricks for the above cases which involve a generalisation of projecting a line from a real circle/sphere to another point on the circle/plane to an algebraically closed field.

If anything I now have a feel for how hard this type of problem is in general which I suppose is a good lesson learned.

I may have some more algebraic geometry questions to follow soon!

e.g. it was known for decades that a cubic hypersurface in P^4 is the image of P^3 under a map of degree 2, but whether there is a map of degree one was unknown for deacades more. finally it was proved there can be no such degree one map.

1. What are rational varieties?

Rational varieties are algebraic varieties that can be parametrized by rational functions. This means that they can be described by a finite number of equations in terms of rational functions.

2. How do you find birational maps between rational varieties?

To find a birational map between two rational varieties, you need to construct a rational map that is defined on an open subset of both varieties. This map must also have a rational inverse defined on an open subset of the target variety. This can be achieved by finding a common parameterization of both varieties.

3. What is the importance of finding birational maps?

Finding birational maps is important in understanding the geometric properties of rational varieties. These maps allow us to relate different rational varieties to each other and study their similarities and differences. They also help us classify and study rational varieties in a systematic way.

4. How do you find inverses of birational maps?

To find the inverse of a birational map, you need to solve the system of equations defining the map for the target coordinates in terms of the source coordinates. This can be done by using elimination methods or resultants.

5. Can all rational varieties be related by birational maps?

No, not all rational varieties can be related by birational maps. Some rational varieties may not be birationally equivalent to each other, meaning there is no rational map between them that has a rational inverse. This is because different rational varieties can have different geometric properties and cannot be transformed into each other by rational functions.