1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rationalizing the denominator

1. Jul 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1/((i-s)^2)) how do i rationalize this , would i multpiy top and bottom by
    (i+s)^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(rationalize? anyway …)

Yup! :biggrin:

4. Jul 15, 2009 #3
    k thank-you

5. Aug 21, 2009 #4
    By the way, what is the proper term? (assuming "rationalize" is not)

6. Aug 21, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"Rationalize" is the correct vocabulary for what you wanted.

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: "Rationalizing"

Hi Unit! Hi symbolipoint! :smile:

Well, "rationalize" means to make rational, which this doesn't, neither in the English nor in the mathematical sense.

It actually puts a complex number into the standard x + iy form, so I'd prefer to say "put into standard form" …

however … now you raise the point, I see that http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cmplx2.html#c2 and others do say "rationalize" … I wonder why? :redface:

8. Aug 21, 2009 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

But it's asking to rationalize the denominator which is achieved. The denominator becomes real, and possibly rational depending on the value of s.

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8
    For ex. 1/i where i is complex number. By multiplying with i / i you get i / i2 = i / (-1), which makes the denominator real number (also rational) since I can write (-1) as (-1)/1 and the final equation would be i / (-1) / 1. Now the denominator is rational and I rationalize the equation. :smile:

Regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook