1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rationals dense in the reals

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    I have in my book the statement: Every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers. Now, I have heard somewhere that the rationals are dense in the real numbers, which I assumed was the property stated above, but then it turns out that it means that all real numbers are limit points of the rationals. Are the two statements equivalent.
    My guess is yes: For since every interval has rational numbers we can construct at sequence of intersections about any given real number a which by completeness should converge to a. But then choosing the sequence of rational numbers that are in the successive intersections we get a sequence of rationals with limit point a. But my problem is: Do we know that we can always construct a sequence of intersections around any real number?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just define the nth interval to be (a-1/n,a+1/n). There's not much need to 'construct' anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted