Are Odd Rationals Dense on Intervals?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the set X, defined as the set of odd positive integers divided by odd positive integers, is dense on any interval between (0,1). The attempt at a solution involves considering the limit of a certain formula involving p and q, but it is determined that this limit does not go to 1 as initially thought, but rather to p/q. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the set X is not dense anywhere.
cragar

Homework Statement

Is the Set X Dense on any interval between (0,1)
X= [itex] \{ \frac{p}{q} \} [/itex] where p and q are odd positive integers with
p<q

The Attempt at a Solution

so we know that q is always bigger than p so it will always be less than 1.
and since p and q are odd we will not have the rationals that have even factors.
So I do not think it will be dense anywhere. The rationals are dense in the reals but we only have odd numbers divided by odd numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you pick a rational p/q then I think (2^n*p+1)/(2^n*q+1) is awfully close to p/q for n large.

so should I look at the limit of that.

cragar said:
so should I look at the limit of that.

Suppose you did, what would that tell you?

well it would go to zero because the bottom will grow faster than the top. But it seems like it would have a chance of maybe being dense close to zero.

cragar said:
well it would go to zero because the bottom will grow faster than the top. But it seems like it would have a chance of maybe being dense close to zero.

I don't think it goes to zero.

ok, but with p<q I could make q as large as I want and keep p small.

cragar said:
ok, but with p<q I could make q as large as I want and keep p small.

No! Fix p and q. Show there is a rational number of the form odd/odd that is as close to p/q as you want.

if p and q are fixed then that limit should go to 1.

cragar said:
if p and q are fixed then that limit should go to 1.

What limit goes to 1? I really don't know what you are talking about.

your post # 2 , as n goes to infinity , that whole formula should go to 1.

cragar said:
your post # 2 , as n goes to infinity , that whole formula should go to 1.

No, it does not. It goes to p/q. That was my whole point!

1. What does it mean for rationals to be dense on an interval?

When we say that rationals are dense on an interval, it means that between any two real numbers within that interval, there exists a rational number. In other words, the set of rational numbers is spread out evenly throughout the interval, without any gaps.

2. How do we prove that rationals are dense on an interval?

To prove that rationals are dense on an interval, we can use the Archimedian property, which states that for any two real numbers a and b, there exists a natural number n such that a < n < b. This means that we can always find a rational number between any two real numbers, making the rationals dense on the interval.

3. Why is it important that rationals are dense on an interval?

The density of rationals on an interval is important because it allows us to approximate real numbers with rational numbers. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in calculus and measurement.

4. Are there any other sets of numbers that are dense on an interval?

Yes, the set of real numbers is also dense on any interval. This means that between any two real numbers within an interval, there exists another real number. In fact, the real numbers are even more densely spread out than the rationals, as there are an infinite number of real numbers between any two real numbers.

5. Can the density of rationals on an interval be visualized?

Yes, the density of rationals on an interval can be visualized using a number line. The rational numbers can be represented as points on the number line, and the density can be seen by the evenly spaced out points between any two real numbers on the number line.