• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Ray Diagram

• Thread starter Air
  • Start date
Air
1. Homework Statement
This is a follow on question. The first few questions ask about finding the numerical answer. The question that I am confused about and cannot do seem to do properly says:
Complete the ray diagram to locate the position of the image shown on the retina when effective focal length of eye is [itex]0.020m[/itex].

2. Homework Equations
I was given the total power of the lens+cornea as [itex]56.0D[/itex]. I calculated the focal length by [itex]f = \frac{1}{P} = \frac{1}{56} = 0.02m[/itex] to 2dp.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I attempted it and drew the focal points [itex]0.02m[/itex] from the center axis which is the lens+cornea axis. They had already provided an arrow for the Image on the retina but when I drew the diagram, it didn't meet on the grid but met outside the grid that they had provided.

Answers and Replies

could you indicate roughly what is the ordering of these and their separation?
retina, lens, focal point, image, object
:smile:

Air
Basically, the grid scale was 1 small square= 0.002m. The grid had 5x5 small boxes which made up one cm square.

There is only a grid with an axis and we have to draw all the points ourself so I thought that I would need to draw the focal point 2 cm away from the y-axis.

There isn't any detail about the separation. I assume you just have to draw it approximately, showing how a real image is formed?