1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ray Diagram

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1

Air

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a follow on question. The first few questions ask about finding the numerical answer. The question that I am confused about and cannot do seem to do properly says:
    Complete the ray diagram to locate the position of the image shown on the retina when effective focal length of eye is [itex]0.020m[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    I was given the total power of the lens+cornea as [itex]56.0D[/itex]. I calculated the focal length by [itex]f = \frac{1}{P} = \frac{1}{56} = 0.02m[/itex] to 2dp.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted it and drew the focal points [itex]0.02m[/itex] from the center axis which is the lens+cornea axis. They had already provided an arrow for the Image on the retina but when I drew the diagram, it didn't meet on the grid but met outside the grid that they had provided.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    could you indicate roughly what is the ordering of these and their separation?
    retina, lens, focal point, image, object
    :smile:

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

Air

Basically, the grid scale was 1 small square= 0.002m. The grid had 5x5 small boxes which made up one cm square.

There is only a grid with an axis and we have to draw all the points ourself so I thought that I would need to draw the focal point 2 cm away from the y-axis.

There isn't any detail about the separation. I assume you just have to draw it approximately, showing how a real image is formed?

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?