1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ray Diagram

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to quantify the picture below and show how to find D and the angle theta.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7079/labg.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

none i can think of

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess S and H are the same. I really can't think of a way to find D or theta though. Don't you need D to find theta?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Opening of the camera, object and image from two similar triangles. Their sides are proportional.
    Length of the camera and film height are known quantities. From that find D and theta.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    Alright so my camera's length is 14.6cm and the film height is 5cm. Even if I know they're proportional how can i find D?

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

To find D you must know H. As your guess S need no be equal to H.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5
    Alright well we aren't given H so how would I theoretically get H?

Would I do 5/14.6 = h/d? And after I find D how would i find theta?

7. Apr 1, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

You can find theta. 2.5/14.6 = tan(theta/2). But that won't give you D unless you know the size of the object.

8. Apr 1, 2009 #7
    Alright but even if i know my H, isn't the theta different? lets say my H is 7.5 cm. I got theta/2 for the left triangle to be 4.86 degrees. Where do I go from there though?

9. Apr 1, 2009 #8

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. For same H theta depends on D. When D changes size of the image also changes.
    Theta will be unique only for one setting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook